Monday 1 November 2021

It's a Messy Business.

 So I mentioned in my last post that my Sea Swept quilt was pretty close to being a completed top but it was becoming cumbersome because of the foundation papers. I managed to get it into three large pieces, then made to decision to remove some of the papers. 
What a mess, even though I had a bin on either side of me, I still managed to make a huge mess.
But it was worth it. I took out all of the papers except those in the outer blocks and that made life so much easier when I joined the three pieces together.
Here they are on the bedroom floor.
Waiting to be joined.
It really took no time at all to sew them together and all of a sudden.....
TA  DAAA!
I have a completed top.
I am thrilled!
All those beautiful fabrics play so nicely together.
There is so much movement and so many patterns.
I am very much in love with this quilt and will be very sad to give it away.
But it was made with someone special in mind.
I'll just have to make another one won't I?
When I was researching this one, I saw one done in russets and reds, yellows and golds, beautiful Autumn colours.
Maybe instead of Sea Swept, it could be Wind Swept.......?
*
So I'm officially on annual leave. I have 11 whole days with no commitments.
Tony and I have planned a weekend away. We're heading waaaay down to the bottom of the South island, to visit with some friends. There will be new to me craft shops to explore.
We have also planned a couple of shorter trips. Mostly to visit crafty shops.
I have a shopping list...
I need binding fabric for Sea Swept.
A pretty white on white for my Lucy Boston.
And some pretty pink florals to match with the ones I showed right at the bottom of this post in August.
Maybe some Autumnal batiks?
I'm sure I will find something to spend my money on.
And of course there will be time at home. Working in the garden, working on our crafts and just hanging out, together because we can. 

13 comments:

Jeanette said...

Stunning!! The quilt done in Autumn colours would be gorgeous. Have a fun trip away. Hugs, xx

Lin said...

That is just a stunning finish - the fabrics you chose are just perfect. Congratulations. Have a lovely holiday and enjoy your travels and shopping. xx

Jenny said...

Your Sea Swept looks gorgeous. Enjoy your time off work and your holiday trip, safe travels.

Maria said...

Looks fantastic and I also think one in Autumn tones will look great….
Have a fun trip…

Gail said...

Have a lovely time off and enjoy the time away! Sea Swept is gorgeous!
Blessed be and stitch on!

Flickenstichlerin said...

Gorgeous quilt top, just love it. Enjoy your leave.

jude's page said...

Fantastic top, I love it too, and another in different colours sounds like the way to go if you are giving this away, enjoy your time away, you have earned a break.

ButterZ said...

It definitely is a beautiful to and your colours work so well together. Enjoy your time away and more so your time off work.

Raewyn said...

Oh I hope you enjoy your time off work Lou - it sounds like you have a lot of great things planned! I LOVE your quilt top - the colours are just fabulous and will make a very special gift. The one thing I don't enjoy about FPP - the paper mess!

kiwikid said...

Sea Swept is stunning Lou. Enjoy your time off and trip away.

Karen S said...

That is looking magnificent. Beautiful colours and you have made it so well.

Janice said...

So beautiful. It will be hard to give away, but will be such a beautiful gift. Enjoy your break. It sounds like you have lots of fun things planned.

Fiona said...

Sea Swept is truely beautiful..... really lovely. Have a wonderful holiday...
Hugz