Tuesday 10 August 2021

What's Been Happening Here?

 Well I had a birthday since my last blog post.
Tony had asked for ideas, so I sent him a link to something I have heard about and wanted to try out..
Probably not the best fabric for this demonstration.
But it serves well enough to show off my new fussy cutting mirror and Lucy Boston template.
I haven't used it properly yet, but it is all tucked away with the Lucy fabrics awaiting my attention.
Tony's parents visited on the day. His mum knows I love a good cook book so they delivered this beauty. 
It is a huge book and there are several recipes I want to try out.
Debbie and I saw each other at work the following day, (On her birthday) and we exchanged gifts.
I gave her some quilters gloves and look at this cute Chook she made for me.
There is a matching scissor case too. 
Such a lovely gift.
As it was my birthday, and my day off work, I got to spend pretty much the whole day doing what ever I wanted.
So I sewed a Lucy block.
That is three Lucy blocks made now.
*
The other day I noticed that it was getting very cluttered here around my armchair. My wee table has three drawers and two have projects in, the top is full of tools and useful items to have handy. Around the table there is my crochet basket, (I must take a picture of that) Grans tray for cutting and gluing. Two project boxes and assorted boxes filled with fabrics waiting to be cut, useable off cuts and a scrap bin. So I had a big tidy up. The Lucy boxes have been put away for now and that really helped a lot.
Today I have sat cutting and gluing the final few flower blocks, so that got rid of another box and things are looking a lot tidier.
Just one project box, one small box full of neutral fabrics, one scrap catcher and my crochet basket left.
I'll get the flower garden finished before I get Lucy out again. 
*
It is the nature of my work that people come and go.  And sadly one of the patients in the hospital wing passed away last week. She was a very crafty lady and brought a lot of her stash with her. The family wanted to donate some of it to the activity group so our activity co-ordinator was helping them to sort everything out. It was mostly papercrafts but, they did come across a bag of hexies and Liza said she instantly thought of me. There are just over 60 hexies here in four different fabrics.
Some had been stitch basted onto papers already. I will probably add one or two more fabrics, just to add some extra colour and variety then, I'm not sure what, but I will do something with them and donate that something back to work, probably as a raffle prize. We hold regular raffles throughout the year to raise funds for things like flowers and get well cards for staff members. The raffles are very well supported by staff and family members of the residents. 
One of my quilts was already used as a first prize in the mid winter warmer raffle. 
Other prizes included a bottle of red wine and a pair of glasses.
 A box of hot chocolate, a mug and some marshmallows.
 A bottle of bath bubbles, a candle and a back scrubber. 
Lovely thoughtful prizes all beautifully wrapped and presented.
*
So that's all of my news.
I'm off to sew a flower, or maybe I'll add one to the garden.

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday, and having a day off work must have made it even more special!

Jeanette said...

Happy Birthday. Love your Lucy block. Cute little chook. Hugs, xx

Janice said...

Lovely birthday gifts and a very striking Lucy block. The mirror will be very handy. How nice that you can use the hexies to make a raffle item.

Fiona said...

Happy Day .... great to have spent it at home doing things you love... that special mirror will be perfect for your Lucy blocks....
Hugz

Lin said...

Lovely gifts - Happy belated Birthday! Nice work on your Lucy and it is good to clear the decks a bit and see what is what - easy to forget stuff! xx

kiwikid said...

Happy belated birthday to you! The mirror will be a great addition to your Lucy blocks. The blue Lucy block is very pretty , always good to have a sort of your working area.

Karen S said...

Happy Birthday. Looks like you had a lovely day.

AnnieO said...

Lovely birthday crafty time and a look to future stitching and needlework enjoy!

Chookyblue...... said...

Happy belated birthday..... Another Leo.....
Nice Lucy block.....