Monday 21 February 2022

A busy weekend.

My week off work is almost over. What do I have to show for it?
You'd think with all the lovely new fabric scraps I've acquired recently I'd have made a start at least on a new scrappy quilt top. Or put together some more crumb blocks for the latest squirrel. Alas no, I've been occupied with other things.
 I've been baking and preserving.
The hunt for a bar of chocolate led to a big turf out in the pantry on the very first day off, and from there the clean and sort continued through various parts of the house.
My collection of empty jars was sorted and some were given away as I realised I had far too many.
The shelf where I keep my recipe books was sorted and tidied, all the printed out recipes were put away into the ring binder and I managed to find a few that I had misplaced.
Even my lap top moved. I usually sit at the dining room table with it, but my Chiropractor says that is the wrong place and is causing lots of issues for me. So I've moved it, to my swing room, it's sharing the desk with my sewing machine....
So I had to sort out a shelf in the cupboard/wardrobe to keep my books and study notes on.
Of course the arrival of the latest bag of scraps stopped the big tidy up and I spent some time sorting, trimming and pressing scraps.
On Saturday Tony convinced me I should take a day off and rest. So I did.  I looked in to my room and was not inspired, (I blame the lap top, it's in the way.....). So next I wandered back in to the sitting room and my cross stitch almost jumped off my sewing cabinet and demanded attention.  According to my diary, I haven't touched it since 31st January, and you can see where I left it in the image below.
My Brother used to serve in Her Majesties British Army and this is his regimental badge.
Saturday was a good day. I didn't sit down to stitch until after lunch. I took the usual pit stops and helped Tony to make tea, then continued to stitch in to the evening.
Although it doesn't look like much I feel like I made significant progress.
Cross stitchers among you will understand the term Confetti Stitching.
There are four shades of yellow, that change every 4 to 9 stitches. It felt like I was spending more time changing threads than I was actually stitching!
 I did try counting my way over to the next patch of the shade I was using.....
After the second time I ripped it out because I had mis counted, I gave up on that idea and went back to changing threads every few stitches. I think I finally put it down at about 10.30 pm. 
I did think I might get back to my stitching yesterday. (Sunday). 
But something more exciting came along. While Tony and I were busy in the garden we received a phone call.
Would we look after Torstein while Mummy and Daddy go fishing?
We do see the whole family quite often, but this is the first time we've been asked to look after the little man. All alone, without Mum or Dad being present.
We were not sure how he would react to that.
No problem. He waved goodbye to his mum, then turned around and walked in to the house.
His toys were already out and waiting for him, so he got stuck right in.
Fabric is not the only thing I have scored at the op shop recently. 
While I was out with Debbie a couple of weeks ago I found a big bag of building blocks for $5. I snapped those up. When I got home and did some research, to buy them new would have been $45NZ
What a score!
Grandad and Torstein had fun with them.
Mummy and daddy came back  five hours later, tired and with no fish, but they were just in time to have Roast chicken with us, and some sweet corn cobs from the garden.
Of course Torstein and Grandad had ice cream too.
After all that fun and excitement I was too tired to stitch, so I had a glass of wine and an early night instead. 
Two more days before I have to return to work mode.
Today I plan to stitch.
Or maybe I will sew.
First, I think I might get dressed, as I'm still in my PJs.
LOL
I wonder if there is enough chicken left to make a pie for Grandads lunch?
I hope you had a great weekend. 


 

10 comments:

Fiona said...

well done with all the cleaning and sorting. I'm interested in how the dining table is different to the table in the sewing room? I always computer at the dining table so wonder if I am doing the same damage??? We did a clean out of jars etc and now I need a bunch of jars and will have to buy them! grrr. Lovely to have young T for the day... he clearly had a great time.
Hugz

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

I hope you found a bar of chocolate in your pantry after all that ;-)

Jennifer said...

Great score on those blocks.....and on all your fabric scraps too!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Sounds like you got a lot done in your week off! Pity it goes by so quickly... Lovely to have a little one visit, looks like he had fun! xx

ButterZ said...

It’s great you had so much time to do different things and babysitting included. That was a bonus. Wine too. Even if you did nothing for a day it was worth it. Hope you got a little bit of sewing in.

Janice said...

No patchwork, but still a very productive and enjoyable break. The boys looked to be having great fun.

Karen S said...

It looks like you have had a very good week with all that was done, but the best part has to be time with your grandie!

Raewyn said...

It sounds like your time off work was very productive - once you get into the cleaning and sorting jobs, it's very satisfying! Well done on the cross-stitch progress on Saturday - good on Tony for his encouragement! It sounds like you have a fabulous time with Torstein - I think a good pile of blocks is a really good basic for a grandie toy-box; we'd be lost without ours!

Diane-crewe said...

Taking time out to "sort" can be a time to also think and plan for your crafting x How wonderful to have the family to visit .. and leave you a visitor to play with xx

kiwikid said...

Well done on all the sorting and organising, very special to have the day with your grandson.