Wednesday 27 April 2022

That Pesky Squirrel.

Before I went off to work on Monday, I had sewn all of the bindings on to the Frankenmats, then pinned all of the bindings to their backs. Usually I enjoy closing bindings by hand, but I thought that as these mats are already such experimental pieces, why not try another new method and close the bindings on the machine?
Yesterday, (Tuesday) I set about doing just that.
The results, are not perfect, but the bindings were successfully closed.
I worked from the front, using my ditch foot as a guide.
And I'm really rather pleased with how that worked out.
One table runner.
And six placemats.
Does that mean that I have seven finishes for April?
LOL
And here are five more finishes.
To add yet more to the monstrousness nature to these mats, I used up several odd bits of bobbin thread and finished off five odd spools of thread. 
One more thing I did on Tuesday was to have another play with the floral scraps. I laid them all out on the floor, in no particular order, I just wanted to be sure that they would all play nicely together.
I went off to work and left them that way.
Hmm, it looks like a fight broke out and some of them disagreed.......
Or maybe Belle decided to have a little play?
LOL
When I went into my room this morning and found them like that, I picked them all up and put them back on to the table, then the squirrel appeared and I found myself playing with some completely different scraps!
I've had these tiny little HST off cuts for many years.
Try as I have, I cannot find the beginnings of that project. I thought there may have been another project that had also donated triangles, but I cannot find evidence of that either.
So anyway, .....
following the squirrel on some historic date I had sewn some of the squares together and then abandoned what ever I had planned. Something else I can find no record of!  They have lain tucked away in my Fig Tree Fabrics drawer, for quite some time. I have pulled them out occasionally, fiddled with them, then put them away again on more than one occasion.
Today the squirrel led me to join more of the squares together and create flying geese units.
Some are tidier then others and I know that where ever this wee project goes, I'm going to end up losing a lot of points, which is I'm sure, why they have been repeatedly returned to the drawer, but today I carried on anyway.
I stopped here when Tony came home for his lunch.
I'm really not sure where this is going.
But right now I am sure that I'm going to make a cuppa, then I'll sit n sip while I unsew some that were on one of their previous outings sewn up in a different way.
Do you have scraps that behave like this?

11 comments:

Janet O. said...

Seven plus five--twelve finishes this month? Wow! ;)
I like the "fight broke out" theory. More intriguing.
I think my scraps are capable of most anything, if I just knew how to make it happen.

Jennifer said...

Of course the fabrics fought....they didn't want to hold hands any longer.....I made a pinwheel quilt from scraps of another quilt. Took several years too, but it did get done; I couldn't bring myself to throw out those HSTs.....I paid good money for that fabric.....

kiwikid said...

Hee hee I think someone had a good time with your fabric!! Great number of finishes for the month! Looking forward to seeing what you do with your little scraps.

Karen S said...

Great finishes all round. Looks like another lovely distraction has been found, too.

Jo said...

Wonderful mats and runner. Try sewing the binding on to the back the roll it over to the front and machine stitch it on the front. Works great

Chookyblue...... said...

I ahve a projectr I was sewing with a friend......our seams were different and it wasn't working last I looked years ago........I should pull it out and look at it and reverse stitch if necessary or throw it.........
Goodluck with the Figtree project.......they are such pretty fabrics.....
and great to have the placemats done.........I think those florals are pretty I have a bag in the cupboard that I need to make a quilt from........

Jenny said...

Those pesky squirrels. While they are not native to New Zealand, they seem to infiltrate our sewing rooms, dont they.

cityquilter grace said...

making up for lost time i see...i love the frankenmats...nothing as good as a colorful scrappy ....and oh those florals!

Diane-crewe said...

ALL finishes count xx lol

Janice said...

I’m sure you will work something out for them. Yes, I have a collection of orphan HSTs as well to play with at some stage.

dq said...

Such cute placemats!!!
I really like your squirrel fabrics!!