Sunday 24 April 2022

Frankenmats.

Do you recall, before I got ill, way back to February? 
Well today, they finally got some more attention. I had gone into my room to have another look at those florals to see if I could come up with a solid plan for them. But I was distracted by the crumbs. I have played about making up blocks here and there and had even gotten some of them sewn into good sized pieces for placemats. One was even quilted, using the templates which Tony gave to me at Christmas. Today I found myself making Frankenbats for the rest of the pile..
Some have not only frankenbats, but also Frankenbacks. LOL
Some are more scrappy than others, but that's ok, these are just utility mats for my table, and I wanted to use them to practice using my quilting templates.
In hindsight, all of those tiny little crumbs and the multitude of seams was probably the wrong project for a first try at using my templates.
I struggled at times to move my sandwich and the template in unison.
A close inspection will reveal many little mistakes.
But I can live with the errors and to be honest, the fronts are so busy, even I'm hard pressed to find the wobbles and I'm easily distracted by all of the happy memories of other quilts and projects all sewn together to create these Frankenmats.
And here they all are.
Six Frankenmats and a frankenrunner.
Not only will those very busy tops hide my first attempts, I think they might hide a few spills too.
Now, I just need to find a suitable binding fabric. I think I may have enough of the blue grey that I used for the backings. Hmm, where is my tape measure?
*
While I sewed in my room, Tony fiddled in his room and visited the kitchen to bake bread.
He made a pretty good looking loaf.
*
ANZAC Day tomorrow.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of he sun, and in the morning
We will remember them.

12 comments:

Deb said...

What a great idea on using those lovely memorable scraps to make these pieces that will be stitched into new memories! I love it and has given me an idea on learning to machine quilt!. I don't like doing it but have to conform I just have way too many tops and LAQ is now out of my budget.
Can you please send that wonderful bread backer to Canada

Lin said...

Great use for all your crumb blocks, always useful. Maybe that is what I should do with mine! Great looking loaf. I made a spelt and rye loaf yesterday. No spectacular rise but very tasty. xx

Tazzie said...

Frankenbatts and Frankenbacks are the best! I use them all the time!
Hugs
Tazzie
xox

Jindi's Cottage said...

Great template practice project...your quilting looks pretty good from here, really nice designs with your templates. Yummy looking loaf of bread your in-house baker made there. Lest We Forget.

Jennifer said...

Well done on the Frankens! I can smell that bread from here.....

ButterZ said...

The placemats and runner are amazing. Great job to practice with them. I am doing a ruler class on the weekend. We have to make the same but ours are to be set layoutS to most benefit the rulers used. I’ll see what happens.

Fiona said...

Great plan for the crumbs... I made heaps of mats too when practicing quilting...
Hugz

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great use of scraps and a wonderful way to try some new quilting patterns! A win-win!

Janice said...

I’m finally having a chance to catch up on reading blogs. What a relief to hear that you are at last well enough to return to work. Let’s hope you continue to improve. It’s good to also hear that you have ventured into your sewing room. Have fun playing. I look forward to seeing your jigsaw progress.

kiwikid said...

Great Frankenbats and mats and runner, the quilting looks really good to me.

Diane-crewe said...

practice helps to makes it easier to get what we WANT to achieve x They look great to me x

dq said...

I have some of those same templates and they are not as easy as they look. I like that you showed the mistakes because my quilting has much of them as well. When the quilt is done, I don't focus on the errors - just the beauty.