Saturday, 15 August 2026

A Little Stitching and a Lot of Temptation

 After a busy few days at work, I finally have my weekend off. And it’s club week, so I packed up the easiest project to take along with me — my Down in the Garden stitchery. 🪡

If you remember, I left it here last time, having only just started. After the official meeting and the usual chat, I got stuck in and started stitching. I took a few breaks to have a look at what everyone else was working on, because that’s always part of the fun.

We broke for lunch, which naturally led to more chatting, but I was soon back to my stitching. I packed up a little early as we have a 60th birthday party to attend this evening, but I’m very happy with the progress I made.

While I was there, I also had a dig through the storage area. There was something I was sure I had seen in there before…

And yes! That big quilting hoop came home with me on loan. Sadly, there was no stand with it, but I’m going to have a play with the hoop before deciding whether I want to invest in a stand of my own.

I’ve been working on the Poppy / Lest We Forget quilt just in my hands, as my largest cross-stitch hoop wasn’t really up to the job. Well, I don’t think so anyway! 😆

∘◦❀◦∘

Every meeting has a Show and Tell, although it was a quiet one today with only six of us there, and just two people bringing things to show.

Raelene had this fabulous motorbike/blokes’ quilt that she made for her husband to take camping.

It’s backed with an old woollen blanket, and some of the squares are made from his old T-shirts. I love that idea — a proper camping quilt with a bit of his own history stitched into it.

Lynda brought along a rather more long-term project: 365 — a block a day.

And she had hand quilted it!


She said the quilting only took 3 months!  🪡

Oh, my goodness. That 365 is calling to me.

Naturally, I had a little look on Pinterest…

And now it’s calling even louder. 😂

Do I need another project?

∘◦❀◦∘

Probably best not to answer that question.

6 comments:

Lin said...

You made good progress Lou and I love the blue and white quilt. Very tempting!
I have always used a hoop for quilting and find it easy to use on my lap or propped against a table. I did once buy a second hand stand but didn't get on with it. I would try one out if you can before you invest. xx

Jenny said...

The question is not, do we need another project, but rather, do we want another project? And the answer is usually, yes!

Jennifer said...

I have seen some of the 365 quilts, and they are amazing! I wouldn't be quilting it by hand though, as I would like to have it finished while I am still alive. lol

Fiona said...

It's lovely to hand sew in a group whilst listening to chatter. I can see why 365 is tempting.....

Hugz

Julie said...

Great progress on your stitchery Lou & a good find with the large hoop.

Janice said...

I started downloading the 365 blocks this year, but stopped, as I know I won’t be doing it, as much as I’d like to. The camping quilt looks great. Good luck on trying out the quilting frame.