Sunday, 16 August 2026

Sunday Progress.

Chooky had a zoom session this morning, so I settled in with my Down in the Garden stitchery. While we were chatting, I realised that I was going to run out of the charcoal brown thread used for the words.
(Once again, blogger has made my image weird. Hopefully if you click on it, you will see what I can see in real life).
Janice appeared quick as a flash with some of the right colour on a bobbin which she has promised to send to me. Thank you Janice.  
Yes, I know there is a shop in town that probably has it in stock, but this BOM kit is over ten years old and possibly the latest batch might be a different shade/dye lot. Hopefully Janices thread will be the perfect colour.
🪡

Once the zoom session was over, I got on with a couple of chores then as there are no grandchildren visiting this week.  I wandered into my happy room and worked some more on the memory quilt. I've mentioned that most of the fabrics are polyesters. Very lightweight and floaty. I've been using a medium weight iron on interfacing to help stabilise them. I cut it to just over the required size and press it onto the fabrics, using a piece of baking paper to protect my iron from any issues the heat might cause.
So far, there have been no issues and I'm happy with how things are going.
The ladies name is Lynn and she attended Timaru Girls High school. Two old school shirts were in the bags of clothing I was given. I cut out the school logo and stuck them onto the plain black back taken from one of the shirts. Clearly, they are different ages so I will make sure they are well separated on the quilt. 
As a young lady at the school, she was in Kowhai House. (Koh-fy).
Kowhai is a pretty yellow flower that grows here in NZ. I went digging in my stash convinced I had a piece of Kowhai fabric but could only find this small piece.
I could make it bigger using some kiwiana off cuts in black, or I could try to find a fat quarter and cut a piece the size of the other blocks. Lynn later returned to work at the school, so it really does have to feature in the quilt. 
I might also have a look out for some Hockey fabric, as she was a lifelong fan of Girls High hockey teams. 
I don't have to make a decision today. I have a few more pieces to cut. The interfacing is already fused; they just need trimming.  
The next job will be to start laying the prepared pieces onto the fabric I purchased for the sashing strips. I want to be sure it is the right one, before I start cutting. But that is a job for another day.
 
🪡
It's time to cook some dinner then I might get back to my stitching for a couple of hours. 
A very productive weekend.
Back to work tomorrow. 

🪡🪡🪡

No comments: