Sunday, 30 August 2026

An Unexpected Adventure.

It’s my weekend off, and today our grandchildren, Torstein and Charmaine, are coming to visit for a BBQ lunch. It’s a cool but lovely day, which means Grandad will be happily occupied at the BBQ.

Torstein is still a little nervous around the BBQ, although he does enjoy supervising Grandad. Of course, Grandad is teaching him the important things too — how to stay safe, and that the BBQ is never something to approach on his own.

∘◦❀◦∘

Yesterday, though, I had a very different day planned.

I got all my chores done nice and early and was looking forward to spending the rest of the day pottering in my happy room, keeping the Fun Machine busy. I did manage a little sewing before Tony appeared and casually suggested we go out for the day.

I nearly dropped the iron!

What a lovely surprise. Of course, I didn't need asking twice. Everything was quickly switched off, and a few minutes later I was happily settled in the passenger seat beside him, with absolutely no idea where we were going.

We headed towards the mountains.

We stopped in Fairlie for an early lunch, having somehow managed to leave home without eating breakfast. We sat upstairs on the balcony, enjoying the sunshine and the view while we decided that this was already turning into a rather lovely day. It was about this point that Tony finally mentioned that he had arranged to meet up with an old Navy buddy who now lives in Tekapo.

Our lunchtime view. Although I have to apologise for the rather prominent lamp post in the middle of the view. I really should have a word with the town planners.

Back in the car, we continued through Burkes Pass in the Two Thumb Range, then down through the wide-open Mackenzie Basin. 

The landscape seemed to stretch out in every direction.

With the magnificent Southern Alps rising ahead of us.

 Lake Tekapo and the township seem almost tucked away among the mountains, a tiny pocket of civilisation in that vast, open landscape.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one who was surprised yesterday.

Callum hadn't told his wife Julie we were coming either — at least, not until the last minute. She was busy baking in her kitchen when we arrived and apologised for the mess as she welcomed us in.

There was absolutely no need to apologise. I was perfectly happy chatting with her over mixing bowls and a cup of tea while the boys disappeared into memories of their days in the Navy.

Callum and Julie live right beside Lake Tekapo, tucked away in a wonderfully private little corner, well away from the crowds of tourists. And what a view they have!

After Julie and I had gotten to know each other a little and the boys had finished their trip down memory lane it was time to say our goodbyes, we decided to drive a little further around the lake before heading home. 

Looking back towards the township, the lake and mountains stretched out together in the afternoon light.

Then it was time to turn the car towards home. Back through the Mackenzie Basin and Burkes pass along the road toward Timaru. 

Of course, an unexpected day out in the mountains does mean that I didn't get quite as much sewing done as I had planned. But I'm certainly not complaining!

I did manage to get the first border onto the Memory Quilt, so at least the Fun Machine wasn't completely neglected.

Sometimes a day away from the sewing room is exactly what you need — especially when it comes with sunshine, mountains, a lake, an unexpected visit, and a very welcome cup of tea.

∘◦❀◦∘

No comments: