Thursday 2 January 2020

A New Year, a new start and some progress....

Lets do progress first.
 These two images show what a difference a day can make. 
I took the first on 29th of December, and the second on the following day.
I'll continue to work slowly on her and hope soon to have a face to keep me company while I stitch.
Some small progress has also been made on my latest scrap project. I've mentioned it a couple of times, but I haven't shown the pattern. Here it is in an old magazine.
If you're interested here are the details.
 I do miss magazines, there used to be so many to chose from, sadly now only a few are available.
Pintrest and other collections on the WWW just don't have the same appeal as flicking through a mag and looking at projects and dreaming of possibilities and variations.
So here you have it, some progress. Five piles at the top of the photo are two squares sewn together and awaiting a third.
The three piles at the bottom of the photo are all single squares, awaiting their turn under the needle. I'm not racing to finish this one, I'll just plod along at a happy pace.
The fires in Australia have made their presence felt even here, way over the Tasman. The smoke blows over on the Nor west winds. On New Years Day, it was so thick the sky was an eerie yellowy colour and it was so dark we had to have lights on indoors. (I can't imagine what it is like to have those awful fires burning so close to home. I do hope that some rain arrives soon to help get them under control and that everyone remains safe.) I found I was working in my own shadow as I cut the next bundle of 2.5 inch squares. So a reshuffle of furniture took place, with Tony helping.
Belle got into the act too, she just had to inspect the scraps drawer!
 Reshuffle over, and Australia had finally woken up, and Gail Pan sent out part one of her I Stitch mystery quilt. As soon as I saw her model, I just knew I would have to make this one using my cherished Fig Tree Quilts fabrics. I went delving back into the drawers and pulled out a box of off cuts and left overs from other figgy projects.
Then I got busy preparing for the three stitcheries.
I stitched one yesterday, and two today.
Then I got on with cutting, applique and piecing the rest of the block.
And here it is.
Finished.
It was fun to stitch and I really enjoyed myself.
There is a bonus project included with the pattern. I may have to make that too. Well I have to find something to do for the rest of the month LOL.
*
I wish you all a very happy and healthy new year, may you have plenty of time to sew and do the things which you love in 2020.



10 comments:

kiwikid said...

You are making some beautiful projects, your stitching is lovely.

Karen S said...

You have really jumped into your stitching in a quick way for the new year. I am amazed you have Gail's block done already!

Radka said...

You are working on some lovely projects, I like your scrap one. Gail Pan block looks so pretty :-)
Happy New Year,
xx

Lin said...

Great progress on your lady. I do love a scrappy quilt and that looks like a great pattern. Gail Pan does some great designs and your first block of this new BOM is gorgeous. Love the fabrics and embroidery. xx

Jenny said...

Goodness me, it's so early in the New Year and you have finished your Gail Pan block already! I agree with the magazine's, I used to subscribe to one (several in earlier years) but they all seem to gave disappeared. Haven't found one which I really like yet. Used to love the Aussie Patchwork and Stitching mag but it seems to have disappeared as well.

Janice said...

You’ve certainly made a good start to the year. Your Figtree fabrics are perfect for I Stitch. It looks like it will be a beautiful project. If I hadn’t bitten off more than I can chew already ......... The scrappy quilt will be a good one to plug away at, and you are going great guns on Spring Queen. Just don’t overdo it with your wrist.

Maria said...

Fabulous start on your cross stitch and the "I Stich" block is very pretty.
When you posted your project from the magazine I knew it was one I had stated many years ago. Have found the book and will continue working on it as a leader and ender project. Thanks for the reminder...

pollyanna said...

You are working on some glorious projects. I am inspired to make the scrappy 2.5" square quilt along with you. Needlepoint and knitting were where my mother's talents lay. I miss her work and seeing your beauty brought a smile :) Thank you!

Fiona said...

a great start... I love th elook of the mystery quilt....
Hugz

Kate said...

Handwork is slow going, but you did make really good progress in a day with such tiny stitches! Your I Stitch Mystery project turned out beautifully too!