Sunday 5 July 2020

RSC.

Well I had fun pottering this morning.  This months RSC colour selection is Dark Blue.
I have a few of those. LOL
So it didn't take me long to find more than enough to make my three butterflies.
Yesterday while I was flickering through magazines looking for a good scrappy project I came across this lovely quilt. Not the sort of scrapper I was particularly looking for, but inspiration struck.
I thought it might make a good RSC block.
I was going to bookmark it for next year, then had a sensible moment and realised that if I did that it would probably never see the light of day again. So I kept the magazine out and after making butterflies this morning I made up a single block.
All dark blue was going to be too dark.
But this works. I've stayed with the blue theme but used a contrasting fabric.
Much better.
I've only made one. I'll make a few more in different colours as the months go by and we'll see what happens.
 And because I know some people like to know, here are the details of the magazine I found the pattern in.
Look, there it is on the cover.
I think it is quite an old magazine.
My next find, while still flickering through back issues was this one.
Now this is what I was looking for.
I can see me making this lovely.
I didn't make a start yet, but while I was digging for dark blues I did put one or two other fabrics to one side, you know pieces just the right size for some of those hearts.
And once again, because I know details might be important.
 Another cover quilt off good old country threads.
I mentioned last time that I was taking a leaf out of Janice's book and trying out some new recipes.
We have made a few new to us dishes recently, but I forget to take photos!!
Last night I didn't forget.
Babotie is a South African Curry.
It has a sort of Egg Custard topping.
(Forgive my not so good presentation)
It was a very sweet dish. I was expecting that, given that as well as  minced beef, curry powder and stale bread it also had an apple, dried fruit and honey in it!
Not a dish that we will be repeating.
Back on safe ground tonight with Chicken and leek casserole. 


9 comments:

Maria said...

Lovely dark blue butterflies..
Interesting new block and enjoy the Heart applique..

julieQ said...

What a lot of fun! I like your first block so much; they are so perfect for scraps!! Enjoy your day!

Lin said...

Nice butterflies and I like your new RSC block. Antique Hearts looks like a great scrappy quilt too. xx

kiwikid said...

Great seeing the blocks you are making. Your two new quilt ideas look great.
I would be expecting a savoury taste looking at your dinner, but nor once you said what was in it!!

Janice said...

You had a very productive day of researching a new project. Not all new recipes go in the Keeper file, but still worth trying.

Ondrea said...

Love your blues. Great idea starting it before putting it in the too hard basket lol.

Karen S said...

The butterflies look great. And the new block is a great design. Very appealing.
It is good to back back through old magazines and discover forgotten treasures.

jude's page said...

Look forward to seeing your progress on these and love the idea of using scraps for the Rainbow challenge. I reckon the leek and chicken dish sounds much better than the curry, but good to experiment.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Lou I love the butterflies ,they are so pretty,the blues look beautiful ,you will be busy with your new projects ,it's handy keeping the old mags,your dessert looks so yummy,hope you have a wonderful day my friend xx