Sunday 26 July 2020

The Colour Purple

I finally made a decision!
But it wasn't a scrapper. LOL
As I was looking through my pattern files and books yesterday I came across a Turning Twenty pattern. That got the old grey matter working. For those who don't know, Turning Twenty patterns, turn twenty Fat Quarters into fast and fun quilts.
I knew I had two bundles of Purple batik Fat Quarters, but did I have twenty and would they play nicely together? 
As we were on our way out to Debbie's for a pot luck dinner, I ran out of time to investigate.
It had to wait until this morning, after I had put the roast into the slow cooker.
(Sigh) Sorry about the sideways pic!  I'll get the hang of it eventually!
Here you have them, twenty FQs.
So the top bundle Tony bought for me some years ago as a Christmas gift.
The lower bundle came from Mum, I was supposed to make her 'something'.......
No other hints or clues were given and 'something' never eventuated.
Until today.
After some switching and swapping to ensure they would indeed all play nicely, I set about cutting.
Then played the switching and swapping game again on the sitting room floor.
Lunch was served toward the end of the cutting.
The sewing up was fun and fast.
BIG pieces mean BIG blocks and BIG blocks means BIG progress and here we are, before dinner time with a finished top.
And of course one block which managed to turn itself around!!
Well its staying that way now.
And I'm sure Mum would approve of the inclusion of her fabrics here, especially as this will be gifted to a little girl, she did love little girls. 
I'll need to shop for binding fabric as I don't have enough purple left, for even a scrappy binding and while I'm at it, I'll get some quilting thread.
This one is going on to the frame. 
What a nice way to spend a Sunday.
Pot roast has been in the slow cooker since 9.30 this morning, so I don't even have to think about dinner. I can relax, plan the quilting, think about what to sew next and do a little crochet. 
How did your Sunday go?



9 comments:

Maria said...

Turning Twenty are really good quick patterns to make and your Purple one looks great BUT now you still need a Scrappy project ?
Today after brekky, doing my post , I went out for the Paper and coffee . Then I've been on the ride on mower . Just come I as the belt come off. Job for hubby!!

kiwikid said...

Fantastic pattern, I had not heard of Turning Twenty before. I love purple and these have all come together beautifully and quickly.

jude's page said...

Glad you explained turning twenty, i had heard of it, but not realised the meaning. It looks like a great way for me to use up lots of fabric really quick to make some quilts. Thanks for the idea. Hope you enjoyed the roast, it sounds yummy.

Radka said...

Well done! :-) I love purple!
xx

Fiona said...

lovely cheerful quilt.... fat quarters are so useful for quilts...
Hugz

Jenny said...

Quilt in a day! Well done.

Ondrea said...

Love it! My fav colour is purple lol.

Lin said...

What beautiful fabrics - I love purple! - and they work really well together. Lovely flimsy. xx

Janice said...

That sounds like a wonderful way to spend a Sunday. Mine was rather lazy with a little bit of stitching. It was a cold and bleak day. The opposite of yours by the sounds of things. The purple quilt top came together beautifully.