Saturday 4 July 2020

Didn't Quite Go According To Plan.

Remember my Flip Flop Scraps quilt?
With a little help from my lovely Tony.
I kept teasing that I wanted to add some finishing touches.
Well you see, I noticed as I was quilting it, that a seam had not quite caught as nicely as it should, and was opening up! Of course, by the time it is on the frame and quilting has started, it's too late for a quick fix! I know I thought, I can fix this with some applique.
At first I thought flowers, but they may have gotten lost in the riot of different scraps, then I thought cats. 
You know those quilts with the lovely silhouettes of cats on them? I'd love to try that.
I even cut out a couple of kitty cats and gave it a go. 
The frame wasn't the place to do it, that just didn't work. So later I tried on my tabletop machine, but pushing and pulling the huge bulk of the quilt through the free arm... I had no end of issues and even visibly bent a needle!
I huffed and swore and cussed then I unpicked and settled for Kitty Cat fabric. Just a patch with nice straight sides and some stabiliser pressed onto the back and appliqued on in a not so very tidy blanket stitch.  
My efforts to hide one opening seam, had caused another issue,
the foot, or the needle or something got caught and there was a tearing sound!!
 I decided on dogs this time.
Not at all what I had envisaged, but in the grand scheme of things, barely noticeable really!
This quilt was never going to be an exhibition piece, it was always intended as just a scrapper, for our bed, to keep us warm. And it will do that just fine, without the artistic patches of silhouetted kitty cats.
So now it is finished and on our bed and tonight we will sleep under it for the fist time.
It may not have gone according to plan A, or plan B, Or C or even D for that matter, but I'm happy and satisfied with it, it's a finish.
Sew, what else has been happening?
I didn't join in with Friday night sew along last night, nor have I been achieving my 15 minutes per day. Oh dear, I really have slipped.
I have been reading a lot and have made my way through 5 books in the last week! Not huge voluminous tomes obviously, but very enjoyable all the same. I have a few more to go.
Sewing wise, the final part of Kaffe is still sitting uncut awaiting my attention.
I still have another quilt top to quilt and bind and have still yet to find another scrappy pattern to start on once kaffe is finished. 
Yes, yes, I know many of you have suggested a Trail Mix quilt. I have looked at them on Pinterest,  but it just doesn't appeal to me. Even when I see it in different fabrics and colourways, it doesn't reach out to me the way Flip flops did, or Kaffe. 
Maybe this afternoon I'll pull out some books and magazines. I want to get something started, I sort of said that I might make our adopted Grand daughter a quilt for Christmas.....
But first it's time to go put the slow cooker on.
Taking a leaf from Janices recipe book, I have been trying out some new to us recipes.
Today will be slow cooked babotie. A South African take on curry. 
I'll let you know how that goes.
Oh!! And this months RSC colour is Dark Blue, so I'll need to have a dig about in the scraps drawer.
Maybe something will inspire me.

5 comments:

Maria said...

It's sew annoying when things don't go as we plan but I'm pleased you fixed the problem in the end and the Flip Flop looks great on your bed and it will keep you warm.....
Sometimes you just need a break from sewing and relaxing to read is good.
I have started "Trail Mix" , just did a post.. Didn't like it first but it will help use some scarps...

Barwitzki said...

You sewed the ceiling wonderfully. I am thrilled with such large, beautiful duvets ... I have never done anything like this. My last sewing job is two pockets - a large one that can hang on the shoulder - and a small one with a zipper and inner compartment for the mobile phone. I've already given both away - to my daughter and granddaughter.
Have a happy weekend.
Kind regards to you.
Viola

Lin said...

Your quilt looks fantastic on the bed and who cares about a couple of patches althoug it is annoying when something like that happens. Enjoy browsing for a new design to tackle. xx

jude's page said...

Your quilt looks fantastic on your bed, and as you say the patches are not noticeable in the grand scheme of things. It's really about the journey and if have enjoyed the process of making it and it will keep you warm, what more can you want?

Bethan said...

I'm glad you managed to find a workable solution. I love the little patches, and like you and others have said, they are not noticeable on the quilt when it's laid out. And they are just something that makes it extra individual x