Wednesday 16 March 2022

A post about Doctors and papers.

So I had another carpark visit with the Doctor. The sun was shining this time, so he didn't get wet. Last week in the rain, Dr F came outside in his shirt sleeves wearing a blue surgical mask. This week on a lovey sunny day Dr D came outside in a yellow floor length surgical gown, with sleeves, a surgical mask, a face shield and a plastic apron and gloves.  He took my temp, looked in my throat and ears and stuck the oximeter on my finger. He said very little except that he would order blood tests and a chest x-ray., he took a PCR swab and he then gave me a script for more of the anti biotics that are not working and told me to isolate until I got the results and said goodbye!
So I went home to isolate.
I just got the results of the PCR test this morning and it's negative. I still don't have covid.
But I still don't know what IS wrong with me.
Within an hour of getting my negative result today I had the radiology department on the phone asking me to make an appointment. That will be happening tomorrow afternoon. I may as well visit medlab and get my bloods done while I am out. 
So, now that all of that is dealt with and out of the way, lets get on with the fun stuff.
As you know, I've been pottering in the kitchen and doing a few domestic duties but I've spent a lot of my time resting in my chair working on Lucy. I sit with my feet up on Grandads stool and have Grans tray in my lap. I've been adding the white honeycombs to the blue blocks.
Once I have a few done, or if I need to move, I open up Grandads stool and pop the finished blocks inside.
It's the perfect size. All was going well, until I ran out of basted white honeycombs.
That brought me screeching to a halt yesterday.  I have been removing papers where possible and had a few ready to be reused, but not many. So I set about checking the backs of everything and was able to free up some more. Yesterday evening was all about cutting and basting.
Some of these papers are getting to be pretty tired and ready to retire, more than a few went into the bin, but there is still no word yet on the papers that I ordered two weeks ago, so I'm making do with as many as I can rescue.
I managed to salvage about 100 and got them basted and into my box.
(Yes, that is Belle on my pouffe in the back ground. Well actually I think it is hers now!)
While I was pulling honeycomb papers I also pulled squares and reused those also.
So my bag of 1 inch blue squares has been topped up too. 
I'll need those today as I plan to add the next row of square blocks.
I have selected and labelled them  so that they go in to the right space, I just need to add their blue inchies and get them sewn in. 
The supply problems with papers has sent me looking for a ways to print my own. I already own the Inklingo Lucy Boston book.
Has anybody used this method?
The book says that if I prefer EPP then I can use their templates to make my own paper pieces. 
So lets say I decide to try that. It costs $30 US for one of Linda's shape collections and PDF booklets, so about $45 NZ 
plus a package of good 120gsm paper $8-9 NZ 
and some ink. Call it $60 NZ all in.
A packet of papers costs between $9 and $12 NZ , by the time I add postage I've probably already spent more than $60 on papers and still need more. And if the papers are not in stock, I have to wait for them to be imported, some are imported from the US, others from Australia.
 I think I might just try printing my own. 
Now that we have definitive proof that I do not have covid and I am allowed out in public, I can go buy paper after I'm done at the hospital tomorrow. I could be printing and cutting my own papers by tomorrow afternoon.
And if it works..... Linda says on her website that if we want any other beautifully designed quilts converted to the Inklingo system we just have to ask and she will get on to it!  For example she has already worked with Willyne Hammerstein to produce downloads for many of the Millefoiri projects, and there are many projects already listed on her site that I would love to stitch as well as shapes for projects already on my to do list.
I think I may be spending some money on the Inklingo site.
The results of Sundays labours.
The spiderlings have been planted. There were six babies all up, the other two pots wouldn't fit in this dish.
Tony found two ripe chilli in the green house, so I added them to the relish.  
1.5 kg of tomatoes made 4 jars of relish.
The remainder of the tomatoes went in to the sauce pan.
I got 5 pots of sauce for the freezer.  That doesn't sound like much, but I let this reduce down a long way before I decided it was ready. The more I reduce it, the bigger the flavour.
Today I made ANZAC slice and I have bread proving, it will go into the oven soon. 
We have a bread machine, but we don't like the hole that the paddle leaves in the bottom of the loaf, so we just use the dough cycle, then pop the dough in to a loaf tin, prove it and pop it in to the oven. Perfect bread every time and no hole in the bottom. 

16 comments:

Ali Honey said...

I'm sorry to hear you are still not well. I hope you get some results /
relief soon. I don't mind the hole in the bread just don't try to toast that slice!

Jennifer said...

You will be glad to get that medical stuff settled once and for all! I like Grandpa's stool - what a handy thing that is.

Raewyn said...

I hope you get better real soon, Lou. Good that you tested negative but it can still be disconcerting not knowing what is going on.... How nice it is to connect with your grandparents while you stitch away. I have printed hexies onto light card in the past and was very happy with how it went. It was a bit slow to cut them out but quicker than waiting for the postie to arrive! Your preserving looks great - my tomatoes are all but done now. Hmm Anzac biscuits, now that's a good idea!

Maria said...

Do hope you get your health issue solved soon.
You sure keeping busy with all you , stitching 🧵 , potting and in the kitchen
The Lucy papers are starting to look sad.
Have fun making your own.

ButterZ said...

Still no answers about your health but at least it isn’t covid. Good job with the relish & sauce. We always find ways to suit our sewing. Good luck with inklings, I have never used it. The stool compartment is a bonus. I love bread but gave my bread maker away. Every time I made bread I would eat far too much. Wasn’t good for me.

Christine M said...

I hope you're feeling better soon Lou.

Rebecca said...

I keep getting a picture in my head of you in the parking lot and them bringing out a big machine and hooking it up to your battery to do radiology exam...
Hope you are feeling better soon.

Christine B said...

Glad you are getting the tests you need to get you back on track and hopefully you'll feel better soon! Lucy is looking beautiful and I good luck with printing the papers. Christine xx

Diane-crewe said...

Just be careful if copying or drawing templates that they come out the same .. I learnt that one the hard way x Your quilt is going to be beautiful x
Hope you soon find out what is going on .. and feel better x

Jenny said...

I do hope the doc gets to the bottom if your health issue, it's no fun at all being sick. Although you dont have Covid, which must be a relief, it would be helpful to know exactly what is wrong. You have been busy in the kitchen, home made is always so much better!

Fiona said...

Your bug is certainly sticking around..... the sewing and cooking is coming along well...
Hugz

Lin said...

Hope the medics find out what is wrong with you soon although Lucy seems to be benefitting nicely! Make sure your printed papers match the ones you already have - a tiny bit of difference could be disastrous! Hope you feel better soon. xx

kiwikid said...

Hopefully the medical people can get to the bottom of what is happening with you and get you better. Lovely to have your grandparents bits with you as you sew. You have been busy with the preserving and baking. The spiderlings look so delicate. Good luck with your Inklingo dabble, I hope it works for you.

Janice said...

You’re continuing to be very productive on your time off. I’m glad it isn’t COVID.

Chookyblue...... said...

Surely hope you are on the mend now ....... Bugger about the papers....

jude's page said...

It sounds like you are remaining very productive while you are not well, hope you find out soon what the problem actually is?