Monday 25 July 2022

Some Retail Therapy and a Lucy update.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the one with all of the inspirational pictures from the quilt show, the day was not just about looking at quilts, we also made time for some shopping. Our first stop on the way north, about an hour up the road as you know by now if you are a regular reader of mine, is Annies Country Quilt store. 
You can't really tell from this image, but there was still frost on the grass. We were quite early leaving Timaru, and arrived in Ashburton before the store usually opens, but some very thoughtful person had phoned them the day before to let them know we would be visiting and they opened the shop early especially for us. I'm sure they felt it was worth the effort as all of us purchased something.
I found a lovely green for the setting triangles in my churn dash quilt and some fat quarters that will find their way in to the scrappy triangles quilt.
While we were browsing I spied a Lucy Boston quilt squished in between two shelves of fabric bolts. 
I pulled some of it out a little so I could have a better look.
One of my travelling companions helped me out and I got some photos.
I was particularly interested in the quilting.
So simple, but incredibly effective.
The piecing was beautifully done with lots of beautifully executed fussy cutting.
Having stretched our legs and spent some money it was time to get back in to our little bus and head further North.
The next stop was at The Sewing Room in Darfield. (They don't have a website). If you remember Tony and I visited them in the new year. This was my recommendation and I'm happy to say I think we all spent some money in there too. LOL Especially as it took us a little way off course.
As you can see, I found two beautiful blues.
The top one is for my Lucy quilt, well it may be, I may not need it. 
Better to have it, just in case right?
The lower blue is border fabric for my Churn Dash quilt.
Once we were all done shopping in The Sewing Room we headed over the road and descended on the bakery for an early lunch. The coffee drinkers were hanging out for a fix too. 
Once we were all fed, watered and toileted we climbed back on to the bus to continue our journey to the big smoke. The Quilt exhibition we were all off to see was held in a school in Christchurch. I'm glad I wasn't driving, the traffic was awful.
If you wish to see some of the quilts in the exhibition, look back at my previous post for lots of lovely inspiration.
As it was only 2.30 when we came out of the exhibition we decided collectively that visiting another shop might be a good idea. Back in to the bus and a very short ride along a very busy road and we were at Fabric Vision. A new shop for me to visit, though others had been there before.
And they had a sale on! 
Once again I think just about everybody found something to purchase.
I found some 1000m reels of thread, a cute fat quarter and a blue on white that may possibly find it's way to becoming a border on my churn dash quilt.......maybe.
here is a closer look at it. 
Maybe I'll look in to getting more of the fabric I used for my Churn dash backgrounds. 
Aaaanywhoo!
After spending lots of money it was time to turn the bus to the South and head home. No stops for more shopping or coffee breaks just a two hour ride, tired and happy and a little poorer in our bank accounts, with bulging shopping bags.
I slept well that night.
*
Yesterday, Sunday, was all about Lucy. Chooky called a spur of the moment zoom session as she does. I was late arriving as I had been busy with laundry chores, but as soon as I sat down to join in I pulled out some Lucy blocks to work on. That was nice to sit and catch up with some of the other Chookshed Stitchers. 
Later in the day I set about pulling papers out of the completed areas, this about a quarter of what I removed.
Most of them will be reused in this project as I still have a long way to go having only just begun to add the borders.
The quilt holder upper was a little uncooperative and I had to feed him before he would help.
Here it is eventually, my progress as of last night.
There are a few completed border blocks waiting to be added and a whole bunch of papers waiting to receive their fabric coverings.
*
I have studied all morning and have another Q&A ready to submit for marking, just as soon as I add some evidence documents. So I think I deserve to relax for a while and maybe do some sewing or some crochet. So that is what I'm going to do. 


 

16 comments:

Jennifer said...

Can't go wrong when your day has a bus trip with friends, a quilt show and some shopping, can you? Lucy is growing quite beautifully.

Maria said...

What a fantastic day out, not having to drive time with friends friends , a quilt show and lots of shopping.
Lucy is looking great and it surprises me how the some blocks can look so different.

Lin said...

Lots of lovely shopping and the Lucy Boston was a great find too. Yours is growing beautifully. xx

Raewyn said...

Lucy is looking beautiful Lou, I didn't realise you had done so much of her! Sounds like you had a great day shopping, as well as the quilt show. Well done with your purchases!

cityquilter grace said...

oh my lou that lucy is sooo beautiful...and wonderful retail finds too. i miss doing that now that i'm not working...

Jenny said...

Going on a bus to visit a quilt show and shop hop certainly sounds like a fun day out! Of course you needed to make a few purchases too.

Lianne makes stuff said...

it looks like a great day out, your Lucy is beautiful well done

Lynda said...

Sounds like the loveliest day out and about with your friends. Lucy is looking beautiful.

Chookyblue...... said...

sounds like a great day out and lots of damage to the wallet........with nice additions to the haul......
Lucy is looking wonderful....your making great progress......thanks for sharing the pics of the other one also.......

ButterZ said...

That’s a fantastic day. Shopping, a quilt show, shopping, friends and more shopping. Fantastic

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

What a lovely shopping trip! Thanks for sharing it with us, so may goodies! Love your quilt - it's stunning! xx

Annelein said...

Just love the blue quilt...

Janice said...

That little lot will keep you busy. It’s nice to support the little shops. Lucy is looking very good

jude's page said...

A bus trip with quilters, how good is that. And I love your Lucy quilt, love the blues.

dq said...

Lucy has gotten big! She is beautiful!

Sandi said...

I remember visiting Annie's four years ago - lovely shop and lots to look at - several items came home with me...and a lovely tape measure bangle too, which I still wear...