Saturday 26 August 2023

More Hexies and a Churndash.

 Last week I was perusing the NZ quilters buy and sell page on facey when I spotted an extra wide end of bolt that I knew would be perfect for the churndash quilt. I quickly typed 'sold to me'. And voila, it was delivered a couple of days later. Look at these pretty blue sunflowers. 

The fabric piece is the perfect size and there may even be enough left to bind the quilt as well. 
It was a bargain at 30% off.
So today out came the churndash, both pieces were pressed and loaded on to the frame with a bamboo batting. My first time using bamboo I think. It's lovely and soft. I love that it is natural not manmade and hope it will be cosy.
Tony helped me to select a pattern with a little curve in it, to off set all the straight lines in the churndash blocks.
That prompted a learning experience for me. See those dots? Usually one puts the needle into the fabric while the light or stylus is aligned with the uppermost dot, then you wind on the fabric layers until the pointer reaches the lower dot. Easy peasy. Not when they are off set as they are here. That's ok, I found a good tutorial and in no time I had it set in my mind what I needed to do and away I went.
I got quite a few rows done, using what I had just learned. Happy girl.
It's always a good day when we learn something new and get to use it.
After scooting outside to get the bedlinen off the washing line I decided I had been on my feet for long enough and it was time to sit. I've pulled out my hexie project and once I'm done here I'll get on with that.
I started sewing together those big floral hexies I showed the other day. This not very good photo shows where I left it before heading off to work on Thursday.
I added some more pieces yesterday and left it as you see below.
There is no particular pattern or design for this one, I plan to just keep on adding floral scraps until I decide it is big enough. Probably a generous lap size, then I will add a border and call it done.
*
For those of you asking after Tony, he is recovering. He never did test positive, so I guess it is just flu. it is certainly knocking him around a lot. His diaphragm is getting a big work out and it hurts when he coughs.  Poor man is not sleeping much, as his temperature goes up and down, so do the bed covers.
*
The residents at work have all bar one been released from isolation. We have opened the ward, professional cleaners have been in with a steamer/fogger which sprays a virus killing mist. The whole ward was scrubbed from end to end. No more wearing the PPE for the entire shift, I only had to put it on to enter one particular room on Thursday. Phew what a relief.
There are still extra shifts to do as one colleague is in hospital with complications related to Covid.
EEK!  Get well soon.
*
I managed to dodge both viruses!
Yay!
But I was aching all over yesterday and had an upset tummy.
Uh oh!
But feel much better today, still a few aches but not as bad and no squirmy tummy.
Maybe tomorrow if I'm fully over whatever that was I'll get to complete the quilting on the churndash.
How is your Churndash doing Chooky?
Did you make those extra blocks yet? 

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your backing fabric is ideal - and a bargain, too! Hope you feel better soon.

Janet O. said...

Oh, that is a pretty backing fabric.
Looks like a tricky system to line things up on that quilting pattern. What ever did we do before online tutorials? You can learn most anything that way now--and thank goodness for that!
How many hexie projects do you have tucked away??
Glad to hear Tony is improving. Doesn't not sound like a fun time.
Lucky you to dodge the fly and COVID! Go buy a lottery ticket or something. This may be your lucky time!
I'm trying to convince myself to sew borders on my churn dash, but it will probably have to wait until we return from our cruise. My "to do" list is way too long!

Lin said...

Gorgeous sunflower fabric and lovely to see your sunny churndash again. Mine is pinned ready to quilt - I really must get it out again. Pretty hexies. Poor Tony though just as well it is not covid. Glad things are easing up at work. xx

Raewyn said...

Thanks for the health update. Hope you both recover quickly! You are being very productive! Nice to see your churndash - mine needs pulling out for another session or two!

Susan said...

I have a lot of blog reading to catch up on . . .Lucy looks great - that wave/peak pattern is ideal for so many things - wish I had a quilt frame . .
great work on the quick raffle quilt.

thanks for the recipe - now we need the weetbix one . . .LOL (in my book, the only thing weetbix are good for is recipes)

Ondrea said...

Sorry to hear hubby has been so ill. Hope he is on the mend now and that you are okay. You have been working hard under a lot of stress so maybe your body is just telling you to take it easy . The backing fabric is so lovely and your floral hexies are looking great. Enjoy.

Karen S said...

Great to get on to a good buy with the backing fabric.
Looks like it should work well.

Mystic Quilter said...

The sunflower fabric is so pretty, good on you for spotting it.
Looks a perfect soft and curvy quilting design for the Churndash quilt, what will be the finished size? Hexies are growing nicely, shame Tony is quite unwell with ?flu but better than Covid I think. Fingers crossed you carry on avoiding coming down with Covid. I've been reading that a new variant is taking a hold in a few countries, no doubt it will arrive on our shores before too long.

Jeanette said...

Perfect backing & a lovely quilting pattern you are using. I hope Tony is feeling better & that things are improving at work.

Rose Marie said...

The backing fabric is perfect for your churn dash. My churn dash quilt is next up for binding. Hexies are great for a sit down project at any time.

ButterZ said...

Love that blue fabric. Hopefully you will get a good start on the quilting and it won’t take long to finish. Stay clear of Tony. Keep well.

Janice said...

I’m glad to hear that Tony and most of those at your work are on the mend and you stay well. I like the panto. I’ve been using bamboo/cotton blend batting and like the feel of it. The wide back should be ideal.

kiwikid said...

Beautiful blue fabric. Good to hear Tony is getting better and he didn't get covid. Great work on the churn dash, nice hexies too.

Chookyblue...... said...

Great to see the churn dash being quilted........ Mine is still on the wall with no progress..... Maybe next year I'll get time to sew.....