Sunday 6 August 2023

Imperfectly finished....

Is better than abandoned in a heap.
And she got all bobbly and wobbly on me.  Disheartened I took her off the frame while I had a think about how best to proceed.
Yesterday she went back on to the frame, I was determined to overcome the issues and get her finished. I was able to get things set up and restart where I had left off. Meandering my way to the last three rows when my poor machine started to make the most awful metal on metal noise.
Dr Tony came to investigate. He pulled her off the frame and then pulled her apart.
I'm really not sure what he did, but after a short while he declared her good to go. A quick test run without thread and she sounded sweet again.
PHEW!
It wasn't long before I had got everything lined up and I was quilting again then celebrating when I was about to begin the final row.
Tony helped me to lift Lucy off the frame and lay it out on the floor.
Then Belle appeared to inspect. LOL
I can see the imperfections, where I had issues and where I tweaked things a little to get myself back on track, but seriously, imperfect is better than unfinished.
I've already trimmed off the extra backing and hopefully tomorrow I'll get the binding made and on.
I'm still in love with Lucy Blue.
*
In other news. It was my birthday yesterday. I was spoiled this year. Tony bought me a new laptop, which I'm using right now. It is a little smaller and a LOT lighter than my old one. One or two new things to get used to.
He also bought me this cute wee cabinet to hold all of my sewing thread spools. 
I can remove the spacers and may well do just that in the drawers that hold the smaller spools.
There is also a new Cross stitch book. I used to have this one years ago, but somewhere along the way we parted company.
I'm happy to have another copy.
We went out for lunch yesterday, to a Japanese restaurant in Geraldine. It was delicious. After lunch we visited a distillery owned and run by an acquaintance of Tony's. 
They make small batches of very tasty gin.
We treated ourselves to a bottle.
After a visit to the Pin Tin where I purchased a piece of black kiwiana fabric and also some blue polka dot. They will be used in future quilts. 
*
Well that's my happy news.
I hope you had as good a weekend as mine was. 

13 comments:

Lin said...

Many happy returns! - if somewhat belated. Sounds like you had a great day. Lovely to see Lucy all quilted up so I am looking forward to seeing her all bound and finished. xx

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday a little late, Lou! Sounds like a fun day. Lovely to see Lucy's progress. That cross stitch book looks familiar....I may have a copy.....perhaps.

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday for yesterday, sounds like you had a lovely day. Love the gorgeous timber cabinet. My philosophy is finished is better than perfect and I do hope your machine starts behaving again.

Jeanette said...

Happy Birthday. Lucy looks wonderful. Love your cute little cabinet.

Raewyn said...

It does sound like your Birthday was special, Lou. Well done on biting the bullet and getting Lucy finished. She is beautiful - I think If I even made one, it would have to be in blues as well!

Christine B said...

Happy Birthday Loulee! It sounds like you had a fabulous day! Congratulations on finishing the quilting on your quilt, I think it looks fabulous!! Christine xx

Rose Marie said...

Happy belated birthday! Glad to see Lucy finished and soon you will be able to enjoy your quilt.

Karen S said...

Happy birthday wishes to you. Looks like you had a good day.
Glad to see all was sorted with your machine so you could finish that wonderful quilt. I think it looks amazing!

cityquilter grace said...

sounds like you had a very happy birthday! i'll add my best wishes...i love lucy blue too...nice birthday gifties too...

Fiona said...

What a fabulous birthday.....and your Lucy quilt is gorgeous...

Hugz

Chookyblue...... said...

So pleased you got Lucy finished...... And sounds like a lovely birthday....... With great presents.....

Susan said...

What a great birthday - love the set of drawers

Ondrea said...

Happy belated birthday wishes!! Oh my! Love your gifts and that crosstitch book looks very interesting.