Tuesday 22 August 2023

What's been going on here?

Well quite a bit actually. Extra shifts at work for one, and extended shifts too. We now have several residents with the virus and also half of the staff have it too, so those of us that are left are stretching thin to make ends meet.
Although I was at work over the weekend I was able to join in with not one but three Zoom sessions organised by Chooky.  Thank you Chooky, it was just what I needed.
Janet said it wouldn't be right if I was not doing EPP while zooming, so I pulled out this project. If you remember I was lucky enough to adopt it recently. All of the flowers in this image had their petals sewn to the center hexagon, and I closed up their side seams during zoom. 
 
Yesterday I had a dig through the box they will live in and sorted out all of the basted pieces and I also cut a bunch more fabric.
These 1.5 inch hexies will keep my hands busy. They didn't come with a pattern or any clue about what the original sewer might have intended, but there is a big piece of red fabric, so I may use that as pathways between garden flowers. Order imposed and decision made I put the lid onto the box and moved on.
Then, still in a hexie mood I pulled out another EPP box and cut some scraps and covered some 2 inch hexes. They are for a scrappy project.
No pattern or layout planned, just sew pieces together until it is big enough. They are now nestled comfortably in a box awaiting my attention.
Then I moved on to something else. This bright project was started sometime earlier this year. I got the main part of the quilt top together then stalled when it came to borders. So it sat, and it sat. When I trimmed the backing fabric off the anchor the other day, the trimmings told me that they would be just the right size for backing the yellow quilt. Hmm, better find some borders. Well I set too yesterday and added two borders and this morning I pinned it all on to my frame. I still have the 'Peaks' panto on the frame bed so just used that again. It's quick and easy to follow.
I had just finished sewing the first row when Tony came home, announcing that he is unwell. Oh dear.
All the signs are that he has Covid, though he tests negative. He really is not a well boy.
After seeing that he was comfortable I continued quilting and it really did not take long to complete.
After a late lunch I spread it out on the floor to have it's final trim and to let you get a proper look.
A yellow eyespy. It was quick and fun to make, except for the dallying over the borders.
Oh, and here is the back of both this one and the anchor. A huge repeating map of the world.
Purchased for the anchor quilt and very appropriate too. I may have 'accidentally' purchased waaay too much. Good thing really as it meant I had handy backing for this latest one. LOL
Before heading in for my early start at work I cut, joined and attached the binding and even started the hand closing!
And that ladies is what has been going on here.
Tomorrow I plan to sew some more of the ready set sew blocks. I keep pecking away at them sewing 2-3 here and there, one day they will all be assembled and I'll turn them in to a quilt top. 
Right, I'm off to bed, good night all.

14 comments:

ButterZ said...

Great work with the hexies and the quilting

Jenny said...

Poor Tony, sorry to hear that he is unwell. Fingers crossed you dont catch it either, especially as the virus is running rampart around your work place. We are trying hard to stay well as Robin has his knee OP next week, and we are required to take RAT test prior to admission.

Jennifer said...

Poor Tony, hope he gets better soon. You've certainly been busy!

Rose Marie said...

Ooooh .... look at those lovely hexies! Hope Tony feels better soon and hope you don't catch THE virus.

Christine B said...

I do hope Tony starts to feel better. You have been very busy and everything is looking good! Hugs Christine xx

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Making steady headway there. I too love the hexies. You will find some interesting way to use them for sure. Hope your Tony is well soon!

Janet O. said...

Oh, too bad about Tony. Hope he fully recovers quickly!
All is right with the world again since you have another hexie project. ;)
A fun "eye spy" quilt, but I am a little tired with how productive you have been and by the time you got to the part about already having the binding sewn on and started on the hand stitching, I felt the need for a nap. You have been stinkin' productive!

cityquilter grace said...

wow plenty of progress there lou...very nice quilt and thanks for inspiring me to get back to my hexies..

Mystic Quilter said...

You obviously love hexies and after your post on receiving them I decided to take the plunge and make more of mine! Things are not sounding good at work for you all and fingers crossed for Tony.

Lin said...

Busy busy! Love the quilt top - warm and sunshiney and always happy to see hexies. Hope Tony feels better soon. Good to chat, if briefly. xx

Janice said...

Both your hexy projects will keep you busy for a while. I look forward to seeing them progress during Zoom. The yellow I Spy turned out well and the pantos is ideal. I hope Tony gets better soon.

Raewyn said...

I guess when I read your next post in a moment I will find out how you and Tony are faring health-wise...I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Well done squeezing in 3 zoom sessions - I was just a bit too knackered to make it! Great prepping and planning for many happy hours of EPP. Cute Eyespy quilt - sometimes they just have to sit for a bit of timeout while we procrastinate :-)

Chookyblue...... said...

I do hope your all on the mend well and truly........
Must get back to some epp......

kiwikid said...

Lovely Eye Spy quilt, sometimes you just have to wait for the right fabric to come along. I hope Tony is doing ok, like Raewyn I need to read your next post in a minute! The hexies are all looking great too.