Tuesday 3 September 2024

That wasn't planned.

So on Sunday 1st of September, after the grand children had left, I went digging  for fabrics suitable for making blocks for my ruler class in a couple of weeks.
Then I went down a rabbit hole chasing not one but three squirrels!
You see I came across a bunch of fabric panels and samples that I acquired around about this time last year and I decided to have some fun.
I have no idea what this collection was called. It was fabric samples in lots of different sizes. I cut them down to 10 inch squares, found a couple of greys that might make a border.
Consulted with Janice and we agreed on the paler of the two, then used the off cuts and smaller pieces as an outer border. 
Tada! 
The whole thing took just over an hour to complete.
That was fun, I want to make another. So out came a panel, I had already stashed a good border fabric with it.
I made the side borders wider than the top and bottom, just to make it a little wider.
That one took about 20 minutes. Great size for a cot.
If I can find a good match I might look at making some applique to go over the flowers and or leaves. 
And finally....
I got to work on another panel . I've had this one since about June in 2022, it took me a while to acquire the matching fabrics for the borders.
I got the inner border on before I quit on Sunday and got to work on the outer border on Monday morning. 
None of these quilt tops is particularly fancy, there are no pretty blocks. The fabrics and the panels do all the talking. They all finished at about cot size, I'll get around to quilting them soon.
None of them were on my September goals list, but hey, they happened. LOL
There is one more panel in the stash.
I'll get to it another day. 
*
Another thing that wasn't planned is the nasty head cold that has a hold of me.
Sore throat, snotty nose the lots.
No work for me this week. But no play either.
Maybe I'll pull out my crochet. Something mindless.

15 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

I do like those three panels and so good to read that they didn't take hours, I have a panel somewhere so I must hunt for it later in the month for a quick project.

Ondrea said...

Oh my! You go girl! So many lovely projects you have done. They look so nice. Panels are a good way of making quick quilts and there is nothing wrong with that. Well done! Sorry to hear you have a bad cold. I have had allergies for a week..blocked ears, congested nose , upper respiratory probs but no surprise with the strong winds we have had here for a few days. Hope you recover quickly.

Jennifer said...

They are all fun panels, and look good finished. Hope you recover from your cold soon, colds are so very miserable.

Lin said...

Nice use of the samples and panels. Hope you feel better soon. xx

jude's page said...

A good feeling to get a few quick tops made, do hope you will soon be on the mend

Radka said...

It is fun to improvise sometimes :-) I hope you'll feel better soon :-)

Jenny said...

Three tops, havent you done well. Hope you feel better soon, and that nasty cold goes away.

Fiona said...

Lovely panel quilts.... I love the pink one with the hare/rabbit.... HOpe you feel ok....
Hugz

cityquilter grace said...

gee lou do not minimize how cute these all are...sure maybe easy but really nice and will be loved by someone as well they should...get better soon...

Karen S said...

Lovely way to get some quick quilt tops made. The panels are a great idea for a base to build around.

Maria said...

Always good to get some nice quick and easy flimsys made.
Hope you’re feeling better.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're feeling a bit better, I like your small quilts I think I need to do that with some of my fat quarters and just use them well done you have inspired me

kiwikid said...

The squirrels have been busy at your house! Three beautiful quilt tops. Hope you are feeling better.

Susan said...

what a collection of panels...they will make great quilts.

Janice said...

That was such a fun day, working on the three quilts. They all turned out so well. The head cold definitely wasn’t on the agenda.