Monday 18 May 2020

All in a bind.

I have managed to stitch a minimum of 15 minutes each day this passed week and have thoroughly enjoyed every stitch. I plan to join in again this week, aiming to do at least 15 minutes before work each day. I get so much out of it.
Go here to Kate's blog see who else is squeezing in 15 minutes of crafting each day, and also to join in the fun. 
I got in my 15 minutes before work this morning, but not piecing some more of the Kaffetastic quilt as planned. 
Instead I was closing the binding on the Flip Flop Scraps quilt.
The courier delivered my thread on Saturday just after lunch time. Unfortunately I had kitchen stuff to do, so couldn't play until Sunday morning.
It was a beautifully sunny Sunday and it seemed to take very little time to finish the quilting on this very large quilt.
I even managed to talk Tony into having a go.
He was very nervous at first, convinced he would mess it up, but with a little persuasion he decided that maybe he would write his name. 
And here it is.
 No, he didn't mess up the quilt or spoil it in anyway. I'm tickled that he had a go. I had quilted both of our names into it already, and added them again later. 
Then it was time to bind.  I had it ready made and was hoping there would be enough as I hadn't done any measuring or real math, just a quick, 'two and a bit lengths per end, plus maybe three for each side?
She'll be right!!!
 I set off sewing. You know how heavy a big quilt can be?
I had it all bunched up on the armchair beside my table to stop it from pulling on the needle and someone thought it looked comfortable.
 She must have seen my 'try it if you dare' look, because after several turns around, and longing looks at the quilt, she eventually settled for the blanket on the back of the chair! LOL
While she was turning and settling, I was sewing and sewing and delighted to discover that I had the perfect amount of binding. Look, here is the off cut.
Pretty damn good. 
😀
Restrictions and social distancing rules have eased a lot here in NZ and we had been invited to Debbies for a potluck dinner, so I didn't have time to close the binding, but I did bury a few threads and after some preparations to my contribution to dinner, off we went. I took the quilt with me and did manage to get in a little sewing while we chatted and caught up.
Although we have kept on touch electronically and on the phone, it's really not the same as being in the same room and of course seeing each others projects in person is much better too.
Debbie has made a beautiful quilt top, using Kaffe fabrics. 
 These pictures really don't show how much it glows.
Stunning. I want to make one!
I think I may be becoming a Kaffe convert. LOL
We are planning a wee trip to visit Cathy at the quilting shed, but didn't set a date or make an appointment yet. Debbie needs more fabrics to complete a second top. One each for the twin beds in her spare room. 
Well, that's my happy news, how did your weekend go?
I'm off to pop some dinner into the oven, then it's on with the binding.


8 comments:

kiwikid said...

Great the thread arrived and you finished the quilting. Well managed with the binding, I was going to say guessed but it is good management!! The Kaffe qult is beautiful.

Maria said...

Sew good the thread arrived and you could get on with the Flip Flop Quilt. GreatTony had a go on the quilting machine....
Well judged with the binding....
Great to visit and Debs Quilt is lovely....

Janice said...

That’s great that you got it all quilts and the binding started. Phew, that as close with the binding amount. I think the back of the lounge was a warmer place for Bella anyway, looking at that sunshine streaming in. I’m glad you could finally get together with Debbie for dinner. You appreciate friends when you can’t see them.

Fiona said...

I'm impressed with how well the post does keep up with things.... lovely having the quilting set up and well done tony.... such lovely quilts to admire at your blog this week... I am looking forward to sewing with friends soon
Hugz

Karen S said...

Great progress on your quilt. How lovely to get out and see friends.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Lou I am so pleased that you was able to get some more of the thread,love your binding. How special to have both your names in this quilt ,bravo to hubby having a go take care and stay safe my friend xx

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love that Tony joined right in! And how sweet to have both of your names in there! That Kaffe is Ah! Mazing!!!

Kate said...

Congrats on a very successful week in the sewing room. Debbie's Kaffe quilt turned out beautifully! Hope this week has been going as well as last. Happy stitching this weekend.