Saturday 30 May 2020

Life is getting in the way again!

Life and work seem to be getting in the way again.
But I still managed to get in those vital few minutes in the mornings.
 A minimum of 15 minutes each day before hopping into my car and heading off to work, has produced a whole colourful bunch of Kaffetastic blocks.
I may get a start on sewing them together over the holiday weekend. Monday is a holiday here in NZ.
Tony and I started our weekend with a trip out!
Our first in what feels like a very long time, though I'm sure it wasn't that long really. LOL
We drove through to Geraldine and walked along the street in the sunshine, to The Pin Tin. Where he helped me to chose the right fabric to bind my Frivol quilt.
After a visit to the butcher and the cheese shop, it was time to get back into the car and head further inland and climb into the foot hills. If I was a better blogger, like my pal Janice, I would have lots of lovely pictures of interesting properties and autumnal scenes along the way. The trees were beautiful copper and gold colours, but alas no photos sorry, you will have to take my word for it that it really was a lovely day.
Next stop Fairlie. Tony had hoped to get a pie at the famous Fairlie bakehouse. The queue was out of the door and along the street, for quite some distance. We opted instead for a quiet little deli bar around the corner. We sat on the balcony in the autumn sunshine to eat our lunch. 
 While we were in town, I visited a store that was new to me. Pollys patchwork.
What a pretty store.
Of course I had to make a purchase.
Two mini charm packs and matching fat quarters came home with me.
 (Table runners I think......maybe)
And a cute wee bookmark kit to cross stitch. 
On the drive home we passed by the home of a chap who used to work with Tony. We called in to say hello and I discovered that his wife is another quilter.
There was a very quick show and tell. I wish I'd thought to take photos.
Oh my goodness, her quilts are lovely.
Here is one I stole from her Facebook page.
And all quilted on a small machine with a 6.5 inch throat!!
She doesn't have even a small stash, so had to use her scraps during lockdown.
What a very clever lady....
I think we'll be keeping in touch. 
*
My cross stitch has made just a very small amount of progress this week.
Likewise my crochet.
No tripping about tomorrow.
Tomorrow is for sewing.
Tony did hint that maybe he could be persuaded to go for another drive on Monday if that's what I might like....
Hmmmm, maybe, or maybe I'll sew....
He also put in a request for a Louise cake....


8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a beautiful quilt that you show at the end - I knew someone who would quilt lap quilts with her featherweight - that doesn't have a lot of throat space either - now sure how she was able to

Maria said...

Beautiful Kaffe block.
How good going out and buying the lovely binding fabric for Frivol.
Also cute purchases of mini charms and some FQs.

Fiona said...

so lovely to get out and about again.... even just a short drive is fun....
Doing well with your blocks... each 15 minutes counts for something...
Hugz

kiwikid said...

Your blocks are looking great, your day out sounded wonderful, that pie shop must be very popular!! Lovely to meet another quilter, her quilt pictured is beautiful.

Jenny said...

How exciting to have an outing, I know how it feels to finally drive a little further that staying local. Geraldine is such a lovely place, we have stayed there with the caravan several times. How wonderful to go and visit two quilt shops and discover another quilting friend.

Lin said...

Sounds like a lovely day out and two quilt shops!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend. xx

Janice said...

15 minutes a day really does mean that you make progress. Your day out sounded lovely and your new friend does beautiful work. Such an effective quilt. I wonder if you go for another drive? I’m intrigued. What is a Louise cake?

Karen S said...

Your day out sounds wonderful. How lovely to get to several patchwork shops and visit another patchworker. Bonus!