Tuesday 12 May 2020

An Old Friend.

Things have not gone as planned over the last couple of days. I had hoped to finish my Christmas ornament on Sunday, but one thing and another got in the way and I barely got half an hour to work on it. Never mind, I had a lovely day, with a surprise visit from DS Joe and his family. Yes, we are finally allowed to expand our 'bubbles'. 
I was able to complete the ornament on Monday though, so that is done for another month. Always a good feeling.
Having  a week off work I had planned to get the big Flip Flop scraps quilt onto the frame and quilted. I made a start on that today. It's so big Tony had to help me move the couch out of the lounge room, so that I could layer everything on the floor and make sure all was ok.
The inspector helped, after she got over the fact that her couch moves!!
 After a good inspection and some trimming....
 It went onto the frame.
 It seemed to take an age to get it all lined up and settled into place. The inspector was present throughout, sitting in all the wrong places, eventually she took herself off to my other room and into my batting off cuts tub. Somewhere else she knows I don't like her sitting. Undisturbed she settled in for a very sound sleep!
After a break for a lunch of left over stroganoff used as pie filling in my trusty pie maker, Tony decided he was going to play a game and asked if I was joining him in the lounge after he had put the couch back. LOL Have you heard of a PlayStation game called Assassins creed? There has been a whole series of games, set at different times in history. The game he opted to play today is a favorite of mine. I don't actually play, but enjoy the story lines and I'm good at telling him which way to go and where to look! LOL
So, I opted to join him, but what to do? I can't sit and do nothing while he plays. 
An old project has been whispering to me recently. I have seen others stitching her in a Facebook cross stitch group. Seeing the progress others have made has made me want to have another go at my own project. 
Do you remember Spring Queen?
She is like an old friend, I started stitching her back in August 2017.
I've worked on her here and there every year since. I did think back in January I may finish her this year, but didn't want to commit. 
I took a few moments to get my bearings and I was off.
Most of the stitching is done and it didn't take me long to complete the stitching needed for her hair and some gold metallic thread for her crown. Then it was time to start adding beads. 
LOL That slowed me down a bit.
It was nice to spend the afternoon and evening working away on her.
Maybe the quilting on flip flops will have to wait a little longer.
Time to go and supervise the game player, while I shop for a needle threader. The eyes on my beading needles are so fine, I need help sometimes and I have destroyed two needle threaders today, I had to disturb the game player to re crimp them for me. One has been super glued. Tony suggested I look about for something a little more sturdy.
A sanctioned shopping spree!!
Can't turn that down. LOL


7 comments:

Maria said...

Tht's lovely to have your son and family visiti after such a long time of shut down..
Sew good to have the Flip Flop on the frame... be great to see it done..
Love the photo of the inspector in the wadding bin..
Yes I remember Spring Queen. Nice to work on an older cross stitch. I've also taken out a very old CS project and I'm slowly adding stitches.

barbara woods said...

sounds good to me!

Cheryll said...

Your "old" friend looks gorgeous. It will be a stunning piece once completed.
Thanks for joining in FNwF again...xox

kiwikid said...

Womderful to have a family visit after so long. Great you have your quilt loaded up ready to go. Your cross stitch is beautiful.

Karen S said...

Great to have some family time. And great to see the top on the long arm.
Lovely work on your cross stitch too. It is growing nicely.

Janice said...

Bella is so well camouflaged in your tub. At least your quilt is on the frame to work on when the mood strikes. It’s nice that you can help Tony with his strategies. Isn’t the detail on the face of Spring Queen beautiful. I’m looking forward to seeing her near her completion.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I order Stylecraft yarn through Lucy's blog and enjoy working with it very much.
Your Spring Queen is really beautiful...so much detail and even beads! Stitching facial details is tricky and look what a great job you did. I enjoy seeing all your projects so much.
Yes, we must be vigilant as the virus has not gone away and there is no vaccine. Your restrictions sound quite sensible in light of what is happening.