Thursday 5 August 2021

What's been happening?

A stinker of a headache saw me cry off work on Tuesday and slowed me down a little.
Speaking of work, a colleagues son has been busy making bird cakes. He spent some of his precious savings to buy ingredients and then sold them all at a profit to his mums friends and colleagues. 
Speculate, to accumulate! The kid is going to be rich.
I'm not sure what his secret recipe is, but the birds love it.
Can you see all the tiny little wax/white eyes picking away it it?
*
I mentioned in my last post that I needed to have a tidy up in my room. While putting some bits and pieces away I came across these animal charms. I've had them for some time. Mum purchased them during one of our trips to the big quilt show in Birmingham UK. Mum wanted me to make 'something' with them for her. Once I got them home I discovered that they had not been cut very nicely.
I must have had a go at trying to do something with them as they have clear signs of being un picked!
I really don't remember what though.
They have lain in the drawer un touched ever since. 
Until Monday.
My recent crush on all things EPP has brought a plan to mind. Which sent me digging through my stash of batik fabrics and trying different sized hexie templates over the charms.
I found one batik that will work. But need to shop for the other and source a new size of paper template.
I have tucked them away in a box for now, along with some notes about my idea. 
I hope to do two 'somethings' with them soon.
But first I need to get some other projects over the line.
Edyta's garden is progressing. I have many more flowers all cut and glued, waiting to be sewn together. and I only need to prepare about 10 more and about another 300 neutral hexies for in between the flowers. LOL
I've also been sewing some of the flowers together. This one uses off cuts from a Lucy fabric. They were too small to be used for Lucy, so went into the flower garden box.
I have not taken photos of all of my flowers
But I did want to show images to prove progress. LOL
Each block is very different to the others.
Some have the odd fussy cut pieces, while others are truly scrappy.
As I have previously said, I do want to make another quilt like or similar to this one, but paying more attention to what goes where.
*
No work for me today. It's a very grey, overcast and drear looking day outside. A good day to stay indoors and play with fabric and thread, but sadly I have chores to do in town so must go out and get damp. 
When I return I plan to play though.
Shall I invite Lucy or Edyta to play along??
Or should I go into my room, where I have 10 quilt tops, (I counted) waiting to be layered and quilted.
 Some even have their backing fabric neatly stored with them.
 Not to mention all the other things that are going on in there.
And there is the Christmas Ornament to work on, I got about a third of that done yesterday.
Decisions, decisions.

 

9 comments:

Alison said...

Another cheery post, loving the hexies! I had a lovely morning with 2 friends, i took my Singer Featherweight to show her and she got her's out. Super to have friends with mutual hobbies. A good day to be inside with handwork and the Olympics.

Janice said...

I’m sure you will work out what to do……or not. It’s great that you can buy bird cakes from your colleague’s son. A win win. Enjoy your special day birthday 🎂

Lin said...

Haha - think you are going to have to put a plan together for getting those tops quilted! Nice work on your flowers. xx

ButterZ said...

Always something to go on with.

Gail said...

All those possibilities to choose from! Have fun with whatever you choose!

kiwikid said...

The bird cakes sound wonderful. Great hexies you are making there.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohh I hate headaches!! hopefully it went away quick! your hexies are so bright and happy. I really like those animal charms - I hope something comes to you to make use of them!

Ondrea said...

Your EPP is coming along nicely. Headaches seem to be a thing this past week...I had a migraine and my daughter had a migraine for 2 days from too much screen time working from home. I hope you are ok.

jude's page said...

I don't think you will run out of projects to work on anytime soon! Sometimes it is hard to decide which one to go with.