Friday 18 November 2022

A collaborative piece.

 There has been a collective project going on at work for a couple of months. One of the activities ladies set up an easy to do cross stitch on a piece of 11 count aida. (That's 11 cross stitches per inch). A number of staff members helped with a few stitches here and there, myself included.

Many of the residents, particularly the ladies were interested to see progress and many rued the fact that their eyesight or lack of dexterity would not permit them to join in.

When it was first set up I had agreed to 'finish' it. It came to me with it's raw edges serged in black thread and in places it had been bound with a rather heavy duty and sticky white tape. Even though I used a squirty bottle of water to loosen the sticky I still ended up with quite deep fraying so in an effort to stabilise what little fabric there was around the finished design I put a piece of interfacing on the back.

Then put a piece of black fabric back there too before pinning and 'quilting' around the design. Finally I made a black binding and popped that on. And added two hanging loops to the back.


Even with all of my efforts I still had to battle with fraying edges. But here it is. Finished.
Liza, the instigator and designer of the project almost cried when I gave it back to her yesterday.
I'm not sure where, but it will be hanging at work someplace.
*
I'm about to scan two feedback forms that were needed for my latest study unit, once that is done I can submit my work along with them and another unit is complete.
Only two left.
Maybe my wish to have it all completed by Christmas really will come true.
*
My weekend off work. Three whole days.
What shall I do?
I could study some more.
I brought home a bunch of green card to prepare for the next window project.  
(The linky leads to the last one, if you missed it).
I hear some churn dash blocks calling to me.
I hear weeds in the garden calling to me.
I have a secret Christmas project I must start and another to finish.
Lets just say I'm not short of things to do.
LOL

15 comments:

Jenny said...

That's a great idea go have the collaborated cross stitch set up for all to do and enjoy seeing the progress made. Good on you to agree go finish it up, great job with the troubles you had to deal with. I'm sure you will fill in your three days off work easily, dont forget go factor in a bit of friends and family time, going out for a coffee or something similar.

Jennifer said...

Well done on finishing that project - a sterling effort!

Fiona said...

you did well with the daffodils... it looks great and will be a cheerful addition to a wall somewhere.... well done with the studies... perhaps you need to reward yourself with a little sew time break?
Hugz

Jeanette said...

Well done with getting the little hanging finished with all the troubles you had with the edges. It looks really good.

ButterZ said...

That is such a lovely project. Well done for finishing it even with all the troubles. It will be treasured.

Lynda said...

Love the cross stitch - what a great piece to have at work. Good luck with the rest of your studies - almost finished!

Lin said...

Those daffodils do look great - what a lovely project. xx

Maria said...

You did a great job finishing the daffodils, worth all your work…

cityquilter grace said...

you always keep busy and those finishes are piling up!

Karen S said...

You have made a lovely finish to the shared project.

Raewyn said...

What a fun idea, to have a group project set up for anyone to help with - you did a great job finishing the hanging. I bet you'll smile every time you see it at work.

Christine B said...

What a great job you made of finishing the cross stitch. Hope all goes well with your studies and that you find some time to stitch too! Christine xx

jude's page said...

I am hearing you about what job to do first!!

Janice said...

Quite a few joint projects seem to be a challenge to finish. You have done well with what you had. I’m reading this rathe late. I wonder what you worked on during the weekend. Maybe your next post will reveal it.

dq said...

Inner facing on the back was the perfect solution!