Tuesday 8 November 2022

It's your fault!

What is your fault? I'll get to that soon.
I started playing with the last of the farm yard panel today. If you remember I have four ducks and four horses to play with and I bought a beautiful piece of batik last week that is perfect with both of them.
I made up the first of the blocks this afternoon. I had to trim the animals down to 8.5 inches square due to their wonky nature. The whole block ends up at 15 inches to it's raw edges.
I messaged my pal Debbie and we decided I should go with the green batik for sashing.
And maybe use the yellow as corner stones. It's not a batik, but works well with the panel and the batik.
Four, plus four is eight. Hmm, I need at least one more block, maybe four more, depending on my layout.
*
Now, I'm not sure who, but during the last zoom session with Chooky and the Chookshed Stitchers I was talking about this quilt top, just playing about with ideas and mentioned that I might need to make a churn dash in a churn dash block as some of you have done for the Churn dash sew along. Most everyone agreed that this was a great way to make up an extra few blocks. But someone, some bright spark planted another idea. An on point churn dash, within a churn dash. 
Who was it?  Own up!
Because I want to say thank you for throwing down that challenge. The idea tucked itself away in a corner somewhere and today I found myself with pencil and ruler in hand and more often an eraser too.
There was lots of huffing and tutting, and plenty of erasing. Hearing the frustration Tony came to see what was wrong. Then he reminded me that I now have EQ7.
Doh!
Well I'm still very much a beginner, so there was a lot more tutting and huffing and a few rude words, but eventually I figured out a churn dash in a churn dash block.
With the inner churn dash on point!
The outer churn dash is easy, I can cut that no problem.
It took a while longer to figure out how to print cutting instructions for the centre of the block.
But I got there eventually.
Now I just need to decide what colours to use, or if I should stick with plan A and just use the beautiful batik and some off white.
*
So if you were the person who suggested an on point churn dash within a churn dash I thank you. Your suggestion was challenging and I'm happy to say I rose to the challenge and achieved my goal.
*
In other news, I tried out a new recipe today and have to says, it's very, very good.
Samosa and sausage rolls.
As the name suggests the filling is a mixture of sausage meat, and curried onions and potato.
I don't think they will last long, they are very morish. 
*
That's my news. I'm hoping to have more sewing time tomorrow. I'll try out one of the on point churn dash within a churn dash blocks.  

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

It was me, Lou! I'm waving my hand in the air, I'm so pleased my/your/our idea worked. That will make a great centre block. Interesting idea for sausage rolls too.

ButterZ said...

These churn dash blocks will be great. Another fun project on the way. How is Tony going with the job hunting.

Christine B said...

Love the churn dash on point inside a churn dash block Lou. It's really going to look great with the animal blocks. Christine xx

Lin said...

Your animal prints look great inside the churn dashes and I agree the green sashing is better. Love the on point churn within a churn - looking forward to seeing one made up. xx

Jenny said...

Your farm animals are very cute. Glad you solved the churn dash dilemma - now to see how it all turns out.

Diane-crewe said...

Lol … own up .. you wanted it all along x lol the sausage rolls look wonderful x

Karen S said...

The horse and duck blocks look great. That is going to be a fun quilt.
Great ideas with the churn dash. Good like with the design.
And Yum!!

dq said...

Oh my goodness!! Cutest churn dash blocks EVER!!
Those sausage rolls look yummy.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow Loulee, that block certainly turned out well. I've never heard of one inside the other like that and yes it must have been a challenge to sort that, it certainly would have been for me!! And those sausage rolls are mouthwatering...

Ondrea said...

Love your churn dashes!

Rose Marie said...

Oh, fantastic new block! I want/need to see more of this new project!!!!

jude's page said...

Loving your on point churn dash in the churn dash block. Good to figure out EQ, when you learn more you will use it more. I love EQ.

Chookyblue...... said...

Oh it's cute Lou.......