Saturday 5 November 2022

Shopping for Batiks and Zooming.

 Debbie and I had a road trip planned for yesterday, (Friday) but a dental emergency changed our plans a little. I had to be back in town for 11.30 am. I had been up since before two am with an awful toothache. The lovely dentist asked me if I was really attached to my tooth and wanted to keep it? Or would I like to save $1500 and have him pull it out?
No brainer really.
I told him to pull it. Which he did very easily. After a discussion about sewing, he was interested to see my fabric purchases and more so once I mentioned patchwork, his mum used to make log cabin quilts. One of the ladies in her stitch and bitch group taught him to embroider when he was 11 years old, he showed me a beautiful dragonfly he had sewn. He may be a dentist, but he is not all bad. LOL
So, Debbie and I hit the road very early as luckily our appointment at the quilting shed was for 9am.
Debbie had a wee list and gathered up some Kaffe fabrics.
I hit lucky and most of the fabrics I needed were all together in one cubby. Made life very easy for me. I asked Cathy to cut them larger than the pattern called for. It's always good to have extras. 
A whole collection of beautiful blue grey batiks. 
Then I just had to pull a couple more fabrics for the back ground and binding. Those two at the top of the image and the spotty one beside them.
What are they for?
Tula Pink's Anchors Aweigh. It's a free pattern that I downloaded a few years ago and always wanted to do in batiks. The dentist approves. LOL
So does Tony and he will be the one who lives with it.
While I was there I had also planned to buy two, maybe three other batiks. They are to go with some pieces I had cut from a panel .  I had already used some of the animals to make a cot quilt some years ago but can't for the life of me find it.
I have four horses...
And four ducks left.
But I don't have any of the coordinating fabric left so needed something to use up the pieces I have left.
I found the perfect batik yesterday and bought way too much.
I have a green here in my stash that will play nicely, so that's me all ready to make another churn dash quilt. After I finish planning it. The zoom ladies have some great ideas on that score.
I had also hoped to find some Aurifil threads, but they were all packed away ready to go to a quilt market, but I found these lovelies and brought them home too.
Beautiful colours. That variegated one looks perfect for the anchor quilt.
It was a great wee trip and I very much enjoyed it. 
Sadly Cathy is closing her store next year, I sure hope we get to make a few more visits before that happens.
*
Today I zoomed with Chooky and the Chookshed Stitchers.
I made great progress on Lucy. I have only a few of the oddly shaped edge pieces left to sew on.
Sew exciting. The session finished mid afternoon. (NZ time). Once we were done I counted up exactly how many pieces I would need to complete the top and had to cover a few more papers.
One more session should see the top completed.
The white fleece I plan to use as a back for her is here and waiting.
*
I've started to think about what I might have as my zoom project once Lucy is done. I feel like I should pull out a UFO and get one of them done, before I start another EPP project.
*
Tony has a job interview on Monday. 
Yippie!
Keep those fingers and pins crossed a little longer folks.
While he has been out of work we have been getting some work done in the garden which has been great. Well, when I have free vegetables it will be great. LOL
We have also been busy in the kitchen, trying new recipes, this week it was Honey Joys.
Which as you see look a lot like good old cornflake cakes, but instead of syrup and cocoa these have honey as the name suggests coconut and melted chocolate, then they are baked in the oven for a few minutes.
Not the best thing to try eating with a broken tooth and then a fresh gap in my gum. LOL
Tony is enjoying them though.
*
And finally, my studies are going well. I have completed the study part for another unit and started to answer the questions. The upside of toothache. LOL If I can't sleep I'll study. I will go back and look over my answers though.
So that means I have only three and a half papers to go.
It's like getting toward the end of a quilt, you want to go faster and get to the end, that's how I feel about my study now. I just want it done. Then I can play with my fabrics more. 
*
Time to go. I dumped all of the no longer required bits and pieces of fabric and papers out of my Lucy box on to my cutting table, and I mean dumped. I had better go tidy them up and put them away.
Hope your weekend is like mine. Fun and relaxing.

15 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

You've got some great fabrics and goodies there. I'm glad the dentist visit wasn't too awful for you, but how fun that he's a stitcher too! It was nice to see you on the zoom this morning x

Lin said...

Shame about the tooth - hope it all heals well. Lovely purchases fabric and thread, what a shame the shop is closing. xx

Jennifer said...

Interesting batiks....they have wonderful blends. I really like the 'perfect batik' too. Fancy having an embroidering dentist, how interesting!

Chookyblue...... said...

you did good in your quick shopping trip.........bugger about the tooth......goodluck to Tony for Monday....
I love honey joys and I always use honey in them.......never added chocolate or coconut thought.....maybe one day......
you are so close with Lucy......what are your other UFO's any hand work? Hand work is easier for zoom.......
struggling with my studies....its hard with full time work....blink and time time goes way to fast........

Lianne makes stuff said...

Good Luck to Tony, I love that Anchor pattern and your cot quilt looks cute. I missed the zoom it was a bit early for me.

Jenny said...

Oh dear, a tooth emergency. At least you had a great time at the quilt shop with your friend. I'm crossing fingers for Tony's interview, best of luck.

Ondrea said...

Sorry to hear about your tooth. Careful not to get a dry socket. I have had a bad history with my teeth and can't eat anything hard or crunchy. Your shopping trip was worth it. Some lovely fabric and threads. Happy stitching.

Christine B said...

Such beautiful batik fabrics and a lovely pattern to use them for! I am looking forward to watching your progress. Sorry to hear about the tooth.... I hate the dentist! Have a good week! Hugs Christine xx

Annelein said...

Hope monday will be succesfull for Tony. Love to read your post. Great saving you did... 😉...

ellen said...

Crossing my fingers and toes for Tony!

I never knew that you Manx patchworkers have a different method of sewing a Log Cabin - just read about it here: https://icebearquilts.wordpress.com/2017/02/24/manx-log-cabin-a-special-technique/

jude's page said...

Hope tony is successful, great fabric purchases and great progress on Lucy

Barwitzki said...

Great batik fabrics!
The horse and the duck are just wonderful... just looking at them puts you in a good mood :-)))
Good luck with your studies... and with sewing anyway.
hug

Diane-crewe said...

Well done with getting the studies done x You we’re very focused with the shopping .. well done x The baking sounds and looks lovely x

dq said...

It is fun to see Superior Threads all the way in Australia! Their business is in Southern Utah a few hours from me.

dq said...

Oh no. When it rains, it pours. Sorry about the tooth ache. I would have pulled the tooth at that cost.