Sunday 18 July 2021

Plans for the weekend?

Any plans I make at the moment seem to get pushed aside as the squirrel takes control and I end up going off in all directions.
One thing that did go to plan on Friday was to get some of the scraps from Summer Berries all joined together. 
It took a little longer than I anticipated, but here it is awaiting some finishing treatments.
The artificial lights make some of the fabrics seem much brighter, but they really do blend in nicely.
*
Another thing that has gone to plan was my Saturday morning. 
A couple of weeks ago I decided that I wanted to make a block keeper, and a plan has been forming ever since. So yesterday I pulled out some orphan blocks whom I had adopted from an op shop.
They are slightly different sizes, but a border around each soon sorted that out.
I hadn't realised until yesterday, but that star block is hand pieced.
Seems appropriate as I plan to use it to store my Lucy blocks.
It didn't really take too long to make, and after lunch, made by Tony, I set about closing the binding.
I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out and plan to make another, but there are one or two things I would do differently. 

The courier called again on Friday. 
Another book was delivered. Edyta Sitars Handfuls of scraps.
There are some beautiful quilts shown in it and some lovely patterns too.
I wanted the book for the cover quilt.
It's the only EPP quilt in the book and it is beautiful. I might have to have a go at making something similar with some of my scraps. 
So yesterday after completing the block keeper I set about sorting out some scraps.
This box was filled up.
Out came Grans wooden tray.
And while I watched a movie and messaged with Janice I snipped and glued.
In spite of a phone call asking me to work I did manage to get quite a few hexies prepared.
And when I got home from work I carried on and made more. 
There is still plenty of scraps in the box awaiting my attention.
And....
I have also started to get some blue fabrics ready, for some more Lucy blocks.
As I was getting these ready I realised that I really don't have enough of the honeycomb paper pieces so had to go shopping....
You know how it is...
I didn't just buy papers....
More about that on another day. LOL
*
How are your weekend plans going?

 

10 comments:

Fiona said...

You are keeping me in fits of giggles with your squirrel....
Hugz

Chookyblue...... said...

that squirrel is very dangerous........good to see some progress on Lucy and great to knew she has a pretty home to go to while in the block stage........

ButterZ said...

Looks like you are really enjoying your EPP. Always good to start a new project. BUT you finished it too so even better.

Alison said...

Any time sewing is a wonderful achievement. I was out of action for a few weeks with a broken elbow. I was very “antsy” until I could manage a needle once more.

I always enjoy your cheerful posts.

Thank,you

Karen S said...

The Summer berries are looking good. And great idea to make the block holder.
Looks like you kept yourself very busy.

Ondrea said...

Those reds are gorgeous! Great idea for your block keeper and quite apt that the blocks were handpieced. Meant to be. That quilt is beautiful. I look forward to seeing you start it some day.....no pressure lol.

Janice said...

Busy, busy, busy……. The EPP bug has certainly bitten. I remember when the crochet bug but you too. I’d never attempt any of those quilts, knowing I’d never finish them. The quilt on the cover of the book is gorgeous. Aren’t those plastic tubs ideal for storing a WIP. I recognise a couple of your scrap fabrics from the hand cut charm pack you gave me and I also recognise that thread catcher I gave you. How nice is that. Enjoy playing with your fabrics.

kiwikid said...

Your block keeper looks wonderful, great to be able to use those beautiful orphan blocks. That Edyta Sitars hexie quilt is gorgeous, looking forward to seeing your progress. You got lots done despite the resident squirrel.

Lin said...

Seems like a great weekend. Nice use of those orphan blocks and your runner looks great. Gorgeous book. xx

dq said...

THe cover quilt on your new book is wonderful. I see why you wanted it!