Friday 16 February 2024

Tomatoes and RATs.

It's been a different sort of week.  I didn't manage to achieve all that I wanted to. On Sunday after the children had left I started to get a sore throat and a head ache. 
MONDAY
By Monday morning I felt worse, so opted to stay away from work. I did go for a short walk. A RAT was negative. I wasn't feeling too awful so I got on and did some EPP, sewing red hexies.  After harvesting our small crop of onions and laying them to dry in the sun and bringing in the ripe tomatoes and capsicum from the green house.
We had made too many mashed potatoes on Sunday so for supper on Monday we had tattie scones.
As I'm sure someone will ask....
Left over cold mashed potatoes, (I had about 1 cup full)  and flour. I'm not sure how much, I just add and knead until it feels 'right'. Knead until you have a good dough, roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into wedge shapes , dust with a little more flour and cook in a dry frying pan over a medium heat until they begin to brown then turn over. It must be a dry frying pan.
Serve warm with butter. They are great with eggs, jam, beans or on the side of an all day brekkie......I love them with just butter.
A great way to use up left over mash.
I've come across all manner of recipes for these on the internet, but my gran taught me to use just mash and flour.  And that works for me. 
TUESDAY
By Tuesday I felt much worse, my poor throat was so sore, my nose was running and everything ached. I didn't go for a walk.  RAT was negative.  No sewing on Tuesday, but I did manage to fulfil my 15 min obligation with some very simple crochet.
I am rescuing this blanket for my daughter in law. Her granny made it many years ago and it is in need of some TLC. I also brought tomatoes in from the greenhouse.
WEDNESDAY
I felt way better. Sore throat was gone, headache was gone, my nose was a little snuffly but much better. I walked in the sunshine, it was lovely then I brought tomatoes and capsicum in from the green house.  I also spent some time working on my secret Christmas Cross stitch.
RAT was negative, we went out for tea. It was Valentines day.
Yay! It was just a head cold, I can go back to work for my shift on Friday.
THURSDAY
RAT was negative.
I felt great, I went out for a long walk before brekkie, visited the green house and brought in more fruit before heading out to grab some essentials from the store.
 When I got home I harvested the corn, that's 2 dozen cobs individually vacuum packed and tucked away in the freezer.
Lunch time my nose started to run again. 
By mid afternoon it was a river!
My headache was back.
I did another RAT.....
OH POOH!
FRIDAY
I didn't sleep much last night, I was up and down sneezing and blowing my nose.
My poor nose, I look like Rudolph.
No walk today, unless you count walking to the green house to water and collect the ripe fruit.
No work today either.
I think I'll spend the day sewing.
At some point I really do have to do something with all of those tomatoes!
I feel a batch of relish may happen, but not today.
I wonder what the weekend will bring?

9 comments:

ButterZ said...

Oh no! You knew it was coming. There are a few people around us here that have got it too.
Take it easy. It drains you.

dq said...

Oh shoot. Being sick gets in the way of life.
Mom used to make those mashed potato tattie scones. We called them potato pancakes . I hadn't thought of them in years.

Lin said...

Oh dear, poor you! And so annoying that all those tests came up negative. Such a lot of produce to deal with too. Hope you feel better soon. xx

Jennifer said...

Well, bugger....hope you feel really good again soon!

Louise said...

Hope you feel better soon. Cheers, Louise

Fiona said...

Oh no.... just when you were feeling better it comes with a vengeance.... hope you feel better soon...
Hugz

Jenny said...

You have to wonder why you had all those negative results before the positive one arrived. But now..... Covid in the house. Do hope you feel better soon.

Rose Marie said...

Oh no .... but you knew you might have had it. It is not keeping you down with all the pickling you are doing!

Janice said...

Blast! You didn’t need that result. I hope you have not suffered too much. Potato Scones sound like nice comfort food.