Friday 24 April 2020

Santa Got the Chop!!

I've had this blue Santa panel tucked away in my stash for a few years now. I acquired him on one of my trips to the International Quilt Festival in Birmingham UK. I don't remember which year, but I'm fairly sure Mum paid for him for me. She was certainly there. Although she wasn't a quilter, she did enjoy admiring all the eye candy.
Any way, I have often looked at Santa and wondered what to do with him. Although I'm getting better at quilting I'm not ready just yet to custom quilt him. I looked at a few ideas over the years for dealing with panels, but nothing that really appealed, plus there was the issue of finding the right shades of fabrics to go with him.
Then I came across a tutorial for a 'Secret Window' quilt.
That looks good!
I took the panel with me back in February when I visited The Quilting Shed. Cathy helped me to select just the right fabrics and a plan was born.
So yesterday, Santa got the chop!
 I auditioned both of the fabrics that I bought from Cathy.
 And decided on gold first.
 I made a start this morning and after work, finished putting poor Santa back together.
That is where I've stopped, for now.
I may go back into my wee room after dinner and do a little more or maybe I'll just pick up my crochet hook.
*
These pretty small panels were along the bottom of the Santa panel. They will get the chop too, I have a plan to make them into either a bell pull or a table runner, using up any left overs from the Fractured Santa.
And because tomorrow is ANZAC day
Time to share this lovely wee quilt again.
ANZAC day will be a little different this year. We are not allowed to gather together to remember, but the RSA in New Zealand is asking everyone to stand by their front gate, at the end of their drive, or where ever, close to home and socially distant. Be there at 6 am, and remember. The local RSA has offered a prize for the best home made poppy display, as no poppies are available for sale this year. Lots of houses have poppies in their windows, on the garden gate or fence, stuck to the mail box, where ever you could think to stick a poppy, someone has done it. They are made from fabric, cardboard and paper, yarn and metals, even grocery bags! I saw a video on Facebook, (posted by the supermarket that has red reusable bags) using a grocery bag to make poppies. I made some today, as soon as I got home from work. Two for the mail box and three to stick into the grass berm at the end of the drive.
I don't think I'm going to win the prize, but I'm happy with my creations.
Another long weekend here in NZ, as ANZAC day falls on Saturday, we get Monday as a public holiday. More time for sewing.
I'd better go cook dinner, my tummy is grumbling.


7 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You folks are leading the world in how to deal with this crisis. We are impressed!
Meanwhile, I was very interested in how you dealt with that panel. I had a Christmas one a few years ago and did the usual...sewed blocks for a border and made a dismal effort at trapunto quilting with it. I was never happy with it. But this certainly works and turns it into something spectacular. I have another panel...the one with the cardinals in snowflakes; I think this treatment would work with it. Thanks for sharing, Loulee.

Maria said...

It's fabulous what you did with the panel and a table runner from the rest of the panel will also look great.

Janice said...

Fractured Santa looks fantastic. It really gives the panel a lift. We also had our Anzac commemoration at our letter box and I made a poppy wreath. No public holiday here on Monday though.

Fiona said...

Oh wow, I just love how you did the Santa panel.... I would never have thought chopping and also the different heights.. it looks fantastic and so much more interesting...

Great poppies, also had road side over here... some of us may have overslept and missed it!!! hmmm

Hugz

Lin said...

I love what you have done with Santa - I would never have though to cut him up! xx

Karen S said...

Great result with your Santa panel. This idea works really well.
Looks like lots of fun with the poppies, too.

Raewyn said...

What a great idea with Santa and thank you for sharing the link. Now I have to find a panel and have a play - yours looks so good :-)