Monday 20 April 2020

A Busy Weekend.

After making a few more Scrappy Batik blocks and blogging on Saturday, I decided it was time for a change of direction.  So I went into the kitchen and created. 
I made a lovely chocolaty slice, that will forever be known as Lifeboat cake to my family, as the recipe came from my Mums lifeboat recipe book.
I can't really say I baked, as all I did was smash biscuits and melt a bunch of stuff.
But YUMM!!
Later I sat down to cross stitch this wee Tikki man.
I got him all finished up well before bed time.
So Sunday mornings job was to find his friend the kiwi, whom I stitched way back in the new year.
And then both of then were give a tidy up before I made backs for them.
 Staying with the kiwi theme of course.
 I'm sure you all recognise Kiwi fruit.
But how many of you know the Pohutukawa, or New Zealand Christmas tree?
So called because of the beautiful red flowers that appear in huge numbers over the Christmas period.
 And here is the evidence, that I did all of the work myself.
Using a hot glue gun!!
I do still have one more tiny Kiwiana cross stitch to complete and will get to it soon.
As you know, I have two new grand babies due later this year. So another guardian is needed.
I opted to stitch another of the Lavender and Lace/ Told in a Garden freebies.
I'm missing one or two colours and struggling to find an open to mail order store who stocks DMC threads. (Any NZ or Aus suggestions gratefully accepted) But I can make a start and hope that the restrictions ease soon.
I keep promising to show pictures of my new yarn project.
I know for sure that one of my new grand babies will be a girl, and Mummy assures me that the other is a boy, though she has not yet had that confirmed!
I've opted to go blue anyway.
 And have started to make a bunch of these cute wee granny squares. Just three rounds each.
I'll join them all together with a neutral colour to produce my own take on the Battenburg blanket.
 If it turns out that I'm getting two girls.....
I'll just add more colours and make it unisex! LOL
Oh! And I finally put my grey sweater together.
I wish I had made it a little longer. It is very cosy though.
I recently was challenged on Facebook to show an image of my younger self.
I thought it might be fun to share it here too. This was taken circa 1973-74
 I remember wearing that green top.
It was not my favorite, I think I didn't like the way the sleeves gripped my arms. I still don't like tight sleeves. LOL
*
Time to go for a walk, in the sunshine.
Take care all.
Stay home and be well. 

8 comments:

Fiona said...

lots of pretty things to look at.... well done with the cross stitch framing... you look a bit more handy with the glue gun than I do... in spite of it burning you. The jumper looks great and just in time for winter.... I can look at the shop I pop in .. they have some DMC but a limited range as they were having trouble getting stock... let me know the numbers you need and I will check (I am going tomorrow) very sweet picture of you little... I just love those curls...
Hugz

Jenny said...

Your kitchen creation looks rather yummy, nothing wrong with a quick unbaked slice, still nice and tasty. Love your little kiwi inspired cross stitches, never got into that craft myself. Hope your finger heals quickly, glue guns and me dont get on together, so much so that I gave mine away years ago!

Pink Rose said...

Good morning Loulee wow your little hangings are so cute,well done on your beautiful work my friend.
How exciting to have two little wee ones coming into your family in the near future,enjoy your baby crocheting.
Your grey sweater looks fantastic on you,well done on your beautiful work xx

Julie said...

I love all your projects Loulee. I especially love the kiwiana cross stitches you are working on ... they are beautiful! Thanks for your visit to my blog.

Janice said...

The little cross stitched turned out well. Your poor pinky. It must feel good to have finished a knitting project and your new crochet rug will be pretty. What DMC colours do you need?

Maria said...

Nice slice you make, bet it was Yummy..
Sweet NZ cross stitches. Perfect backings. Yes I have seen the NZ Christmas Tree in bloom when my friend planted one when her Kiwi GS was born...
Ouch! do hope the wee finger heals soon.
I see you already have two lovely Aussie ladies looking into getting the thread you need...
Sweet squares you are corcheting.

Kate said...

Lifeboat cake? Love the name and it does look yummy. Hope the incident with the glue gun hasn't hampered your stitching time. I hate it when I do something to one of my hands. Happy stitching this week. Thank you for linking up with 15 Minutes to Stitch this week.

Susie H said...

Beautiful yarnwork. The blanket will be sweet no matter the baby's sex and your sweater is a perfect fit. I don't think it needs to be any longer!