Tuesday 7 April 2020

Another Corona Day

New Zealand is 13 days into a 28 day lockdown. I have to say I'm enjoying it. OK, so I work less hours and earn less money at the moment, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the extra days at home and the crafting time they bring. 
Well who wouldn't? LOL
So here you go, progress since last time. Not huge, but enough to keep me happy.
Yesterday before work I made another Frivol block.
 And before I did anything else today, I got on and made yet another.
 And the first of my light and bright blue butterflies for the RSC.
Then just as I was wondering what I might do next, there was a knock at the door!
A few days ago, the government had a rethink about essential services and items. They have decided that it would be good for the mental well being of the population if we can purchase craft items. (Somebodies wife or mother must be a crafter!) So a few smaller stores have announced that they will offer a mail order service, supplying only what is in stock, nothing to be bought in. Of course some of the larger stores got in on the act too and it seems that daily more and more items are becoming available, while stocks last, for mail order only.
I was delighted when Tony discovered that preserving jars are considered to be essential and tasked him with ordering some for me as my rather large stash had run out!.
That was the knock at the door. 
Perfect timing, the lady driving the delivery van was safely back in her cab, when we got to the door, but gave us a cheery wave and  a smile when we happily shouted our thanks.
Not as economical as scrounging jars from friends, family and neighbours, or even collecting from the op shop, but I'm so happy to have jars!
After getting rid of the packaging and washing them in lots of very hot soapy water I popped them into the oven to sterilise while I set about preparing something to fill them with. 
I had another bowl full of ripe Chill's.
So they got the chop and went into my preserving pan along with some other bits and pieces.
 Yes, I de-seed them.
In less then an hour I had a fourth batch of Evil Chilli Chutney cooling in some of the jars.
While it was cooking I was looking out of the kitchen window at the green house and I'm sure I could watch more of the little devils turning red and ripening right before my eyes!
There are still plenty more chilli out there.
So, that was my morning.
This afternoon I plan to slow things down a little and do some hand stitching on my Secret Christmas ornament. Janice and I have a little side thing going where we each work on something Christmassy each month. Janice has finished off a few bits and pieces. Last month is was a lovely table runner.  I work each month on this years Christmas ornaments. It's a good way to get lots made or finished without it seeming like a marathon.
My knitting is also progressing. I'm on the final stretch now, working my way slowly up the second sleeve. I do a little each evening, sometimes just a few rows and sometimes I just keep on going, longer than I should. My wrist is still not quite right, but it is getting there, very very slowly.
Hmm, I wonder what yarn project I'll do next? I'll have to make time to have a look in Grans cupboard and investigate the possibilities.
But for now, I'm off to find Mr David Attenborough, my favorite hand stitching companion.
How are you getting on being socially distant?
Are the stores still open near you or is everything closed? Different countries seem to have different rules.
Where ever you are, stay home if you can, stay safe and be well. 

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

most all stores are pretty much closed here in the states other than grocery stores and pharmacies and home supply stores. If you want clothing etc most can be ordered on line. All schools are closed for the school year and a lot of businesses are closed as well. I can't say I am enjoying staying at home every day - I never ran around a lot but knowing I can't just go to the store to pick up a loaf of bread or whatever irritates me although I perfectly understand it - I am in Arkansas US

Lin said...

Included on the essential stores list here are agricultural supplies/animal feed shops. Which stock things like outdoor clothing, preserving pans and jars, seeds, plants etc. Useful. Also our local big supermarket has a good range of basic craft stuff, books -in Fench of course and cd/dvd's. So as long as you are doing an essential food shop you can pop all sorts of other goodies into your trolley. That chilli chutney sounds brilliant. and you have a pretty butterfly. xx

Karen S said...

IT has been an interesting adventure finding out what can be found on-line. I am really impressed with the number of businesses that have jumped on board.

Kate said...

You've made really good progress on both projects. Enjoy your hand stitching and such this week. Most stores are closed, only grocery, pharmacy, liquor and hardware stores are deemed essential, though you can order most anything online. And most of the restaurants in town are offering curbside pickup if they don't have a drive through. Thankfully it's warming up here and we can get outside for walks so long as we keep up the social distancing. Have a great week and stay well.

Janice said...

Lots to show for your day. Lucky you were able to source some jars. I'm not sure if Spotlight is still open here or not, as I'm not venturing out unless I have to. Big W and Target are both still open, as are quite a few sports stores, which always seem to have people in them. Bunnings is still open. I don't think there is a mandatory closure of retail shops, but many have voluntarily done so. It will be interesting to see if that changes or not. I hope there is plenty of yarn in Gran's cupboard.

Maria said...

You are getting a good amount of Frivol blocks made.
Oh the Chilli chutney does look HOT!!
Good to sit and do some knitting in the evenings..
Only supermarket, post office and pharmacy are open in our small town but can do online shopping if needed.

Fiona said...

How many more Frivol blocks are there... you seem to have a goodly pile now.... those little jars look great... and will keep being filled up for years to come... I have to admit the shutdown (we are not in lockdown here) so can still go shopping and quite a few places are open. I only go for groceries but otherwise it's much the same for me... I still have quilt jobs to do but I miss my little sewing groups. Hubz is working from home 3 days a week. and of course my fabric cupboard is better stocked that the food cupboard!
Hugz