Sunday 26 April 2020

What's next??

 So yesterday was ANZAC day and as we were not able to hold the usual remembrance service we were encouraged to stand at dawn at our gates. My lovely Tony was one of many who donned a suit or uniform and got not only his own  medals out, but also his grand fathers. 
It was cold and a little eerie standing in the foggy dark at the end of our drive, we were joined by our immediate neighbours and could see shadowy figures here and there up and down the street, once the fog had lifted. Tony had the national radio station playing the service and somewhere in the distance we could hear a piper and a bugle playing. 
After a brief but responsibly distant exchange among those gathered, including a happy birthday to one of the dads, we all agreed it was time to head indoors and warm up.
We decided to get a quick selfie once we were back indoors.
Hot chocolate and pancakes for breakfast, not the usual ANZAC breakfast, but tasty, warm and filling.
We live on a shared drive, there are 6 houses and four of the six were represented in the dark. As well as my own home made poppies, there were some made by the children who live on the drive.
I went back out after the sun rose, to get a picture of our wee montage. 
The little wreath on the left, is made from egg boxes and oh so pretty.
After we had warmed up I took myself into my wee room determined to get Santa finished.
After quite a long interruption for a skype call to a friend back on the Isle of Man. We chatted for over an hour, then it was time to forage for lunch.
Eventually, in the early afternoon I was able to sit down and close the binding on Fractured Santa.
He looks a bit creased here, as he had been scrunched in my lap while I worked on him.
I enjoy the 3D effect given by cutting and inserting tiny strips of fabric. I think I'd like to have another go at this effect. I don't have another panel though...
My shopping / wish list is growing again. LOL
So, what to do next?
I have a few things still lurking and I should be able to order batik fabric to finish my string quilt, so I'll get on to that today. But I have two more whole days to fill, before I go back to work.
I'm off to play.

6 comments:

Fiona said...

A special way to honour the Anzacs this year.... I love the Christmas panel made up....
I had a giggle at the ordering batik... as I am going to need to... I started cutting my 'scraps' into strips and soon realised I needed more!
Hugz

Jenny said...

What a handsome fellow!

Julie said...

How wonderful that you got to experience some sort of Anzac - I love that. My friend could hear the bugle playing about a block away from her. We live on a busy rural road so I could hear nothing - not even traffic! I love your fractured Santa block - it looks really effective.

Ali Honey said...

Well done both of you and neighbours.
Santa looks great like that!

Maria said...

Hubby looked good in his suit and wearing his medals as well as honouring his GF..
My hubby also put on his good clothes and wore his medals ...
I thought it was a really great ANZAC Day With many folk coming out at 6am for a Dawn Service....
Lovely display at the letterbox too.

Santa does look fabulous.....

Janice said...

It was certainly a memorable Anzac Day this year. It was so good that many still marked the occasion. your fractured quilt turned out really well.