Wednesday 1 June 2022

Two finishes..

Yes people, two finishes. 
First my latest scrapper, which I have been calling 'something floral' since before I even knew what the design would be. It's still called something floral, because I can't come up with a pretty name for it. LOL
It ended up with three borders, the plain cream, a scrappy floral border and then a wider patterned border.
I'm very pleased with how this one worked out. It's still hanging in the hall way, while I decide if I'm going to quilt it right away, or add it to the pile. 
Meanwhile, as there was still plenty of daylight left yesterday afternoon, I got on with another project that has been percolating at the back of my mind.
A few weeks ago I did some unsewing, pulling apart an old work top, which I used yesterday as a pattern to make a new work top. Late in the day I had to do a little more unsewing as that that seam across the front was not playing nicely, and as it was nearly time for making dinner it was put aside once the unsewing was done. I finished it off this morning. The neckline is still not perfect, but it's better than it was.
Whaddaya think?
The tie dye effect fabric is from one of my op shop hauls, the back is a plain black dress makers poplin from the shop with the big red spot, and the piping was reclaimed from the top I pulled apart. So a very cheap experiment.
I learned a few lessons along the way and will make a few tweaks during my next attempt.
Yes, there will be a next attempt.
And finally, when I went into my room this morning to finish my top, I noticed that someone had been in the bin!
A certain furry member of this family has a real liking for the cellophane wrappers that come around some brands of sewing cotton. She regularly checks the bin to see if there are any new ones.
There was, I found it under my sewing table.......
*
Well, that's all of my news, I'm off to read the instructions for the Churn dash blocks.
Then I have to go to work. 

18 comments:

Jeanette said...

Lovely quilt & well done on your work top. Hugs,

Fiona said...

both lovely..... well done with making up the top
Hugz

Lynda said...

Your quilt is very pretty and your top looks wonderful.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

"Something Floral" is the perfect name for your quilt. It looks great. Well done on persisting after un-sewing. You are a more patient person than I am, that's for sure.

Lin said...

Lovely fabric for your top, nice work there. Love your florals, very pretty. xx

ButterZ said...

Great work on the top and well done with the finish.

Maria said...

Your scrappy florals have turned into a lovely flimsy…
Good work with your new top…

Chookyblue...... said...

the florals look good.....someones making a mess...........
Oh and I just see you have written stolen from chooky on "kee'ing the love of blogging alive" not sure where I found that now........wished I remembered......

Jennifer said...

Well done on your work top....love your spring flowers!

Jenny said...

Very clever of you to make a new work top. Did you cut a pattern from vylene for next time? And a quilt finish is always something go celebrate.

Diane-crewe said...

Seems like as good a name as any for the quilt x It is lovely x Liking the top .. it has certainly been a learning experience for you .. all for trying out a new/cheap way to make clothes x

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Something floral ( it sounds like a good name to me!) is beautiful!! So springy and happy!

Your shirt looks great !

Christine B said...

Love your 'something floral' quilt and your new top looks great! Have a lovely weekend. Christine xx

Christine M said...

Your quilt is lovely Lou. So is your top.

jude's page said...

Love both of your finishes. The name for the floral fits it well.

Ondrea said...

Lol cats are funny lovable creatures. Love your top. You are so clever .

dq said...

Your finished quilt is so beautiful!

Janice said...

Go you! You’re on a roll. You did well with your top.